Thumbnail viewer question

Rosina Stefan

Does anyone know of a thumbnail viewer program which creates icons of wpc, gsd or pdf files?  I've joined some of the other cutter yahoo groups and downloaded some files; however, I have no idea until I import them into MTC whether I would like the file or not.  If there was a program which could display images of these files, I could go through and delete what is taking up space on my hard disk that I will never use.

Thanks,
Rosina

Janis Cross

I have the same question!

On Thursday, December 12, 2019, 9:41:32 PM CST, Rosina Stefan <rstefan28@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of a thumbnail viewer program which creates icons of wpc, gsd or pdf files?  I've joined some of the other cutter yahoo groups and downloaded some files; however, I have no idea until I import them into MTC whether I would like the file or not.  If there was a program which could display images of these files, I could go through and delete what is taking up space on my hard disk that I will never use.

Thanks,
Rosina

Liz Ackerman

.wpc files are an older file type, and would have had a preview likely only when you chose File => Open, you’d see the file itself there. However given that it is not a popular file type today, SVG being the predominant file type for cutting programs, you will not likely see any big rush by a developer to create a thumbnail or previewer for it. Even though there are likely a whole of those files lurking on old hard drives all over the place!!

If you have Adobe Reader on your computer, you automatically have a pdf viewer. If you don’t have Reader, you can download it for free from the Adobe website. Note, it is a cloud based program, you need to be connected to the internet to use it.

.gsd files are files that are proprietary to GraphTec Corporation, and software that their cutters use. Again, they are not mainstream file types, so independent developers are not rushing to provide a viewer for them, there is no money in it =). Contact GraphTec here to see what they have to say about their file type viewers if there are any: http://www.graphteccorp.com/

There are some online file converter options for odd files like .wpc and .gsd. I don’t have any experience using them so can’t comment on how well they do the job.

SVG is the file type of preference for cutting files. It makes total sense because it is not a proprietary file type, it is open source and anyone can read an SVG file just by opening it with a text program like Notepad. This is why it will continue to remain the file type of choice for cutters.

Hope that helps.

Liz