New Guy: Call me Bob

Robert M

Greetings Everyone.

My name is Robert and I live in Salt Lake city, Utah.

I will soon begin to produce more camera bellows and my recent thinking is a Cricut might be my salvation. A camera bellows requires many small rectangular parts in various lengths. I also require little triangular corner pieces. The shapes are uncomplicated; the quantity is the killer.

I will assume a Cricut might be an ideal way to produce these parts? If I can accurately cut these many parts, my time is cut in half.

Usually, I would be cutting three-ply Bristol board using sharp cutters, but something self-adhesive might serve me better. Are self adhesive materials available? Will the Cricut cut them accurately? A bellows is a two ply affair. The cut parts are glued to the light proof material and a very thin leather or bookbinder cloth covers the little parts.

The bellows is then folded and clamped to allow the bellows to hold its shape.

I have access to plastic sheet from .00005 on up. I might use this because some of this material is backed with an adhesive. Do any of you have experience cutting thin plastics?

I will defer to the wisdom of this group.

Cheers,

Bob

Julie Flanagan

Welcome to our group, Bob! The type of project that you want to do can be accomplished using a number of cutters. 3-Ply Bristol board is most likely the most challenging media you would be cutting for this project. While the Cricut Maker can cut 3-Ply board with the special knife blade, it does take a while. I have never seen this type of board available in a self-adhesive format. You could apply xyron or double sided sticky tape to the back of the pieces after cutting. I have been able to cut up to 4-ply board using the deep cut blade on the Scan N Cut and on the Cricut Maker with the craft knife. Keep the speed slow. Multiple passes will be necessary. Cricut may take a lot longer, as it requires many more passes. Cricut Maker's are not perfectly precise, but likely will be close enough for your project, within 1mm. Slower cutting with multiple passes will keep your cuts more accurate, whichever machine you use.

Thin leather or bookbinder cloth should cut well on any of the cutters.

I have cut very thin plastic up to .07 on a number of my machines with no problem. Thicker plastic and acrylic do not cut so easily with the machines.

Your project sounds very interesting, especially since I am a musician. We look forward to seeing photos of your completed project!

Julie

morganandderrickandrews

Hi Bob! I'm in Salt Lake City also! Maybe we should change the name to Smoke Sky City though! 😁😁😁

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021, 5:14 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:
[...]

Greetings Julie

The material used for the small parts is not critical. Cardboard, plastic, other materials will work. I use Bristol because it is handy. As for the plastic you cut, .07 is doable. I can stack if i need to.

Cheers,

Bob

Robert M

Few hours ago I looked out the winder and the sun was bright red.

Bob