Topics

IMPORTANT: MTC Site is GONE

Julie Flanagan

The Make The Cut site is GONE. This means that Make The Cut software and Popup Card Studio software are no longer for sale. This also means that there is no longer an option to retrieve your registration keys for MTC or PCS. You can no longer download MTC or PCS Trial versions or drivers. The MTC and PCS User Galleries no longer work within the software. 

However, you CAN still use Make The Cut and Popup Card Studio if you ever purchased it, and have saved it and your registration key on your computer. You DO need to PROTECT your copy of the software and your registration keys for future use. Save your entire Make The Cut! directory as well as your registration number to a thumb drive or a CD, in case you need to install Make The Cut to another computer. Copy everything from this folder  C:\Program Files (x86)\Make The Cut! to the thumb drive.  Then you can then plug in the thumb drive to a new computer and copy these files to the new computer.

Make The Cut is full featured cutting software that will cut directly to many different cutters. It includes many advanced design features. The software imports and exports many different file types. There have not been updates to this software in several years, so plugins for newer cutters are not available. But the software is still quite competitive in the market for those designing SVG cutting files.  You can create your own cutting files, or customize or edit designs that you have. Then you can select all (ctrl+a) and export as SVG Ctrl+Shift+S). These SVG files may be imported into your favorite cutting software.

The User Gallery in Make The Cut is no longer functional.  However, you can download thousands of designs from that Gallery. If you own Make The Cut, see this document to learn how to Retrieve your registration key by Sandy McCauley. She has also made some of the archived gallery files available for FREE download:

Files contributed by Dave (AKA Berry One) Dave contributed files primarily in MTC format. There are a few SVG files among his collection that even those who do not own Make The Cut can access.

MTC Gallery Rescue by User Paul Zingah   These are primarily files in MTC format with PNG thumbnail images.

Learning Make The Cut

Support for  Make The Cut software is available in the free User's Manual as well as at the Make The Cut Forum,  here at the free MTC-Tuts Group (join to access free  tutorials and cutting files), and at my YouTube channel.  We are here to help you use this excellent software. There are features in Make the Cut that I cannot find in other software. And many of its features are easier to use in MTC than in other programs. Make The Cut works very well in creating or customizing and editing cutting files. And you can export your designs from MTC to SVG format to use in other software programs on many different cutters.

Let me know how I can be of more assistance in your use of MTC or PCS.

Julie

D Butts

Thank you for sharing this information.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 4:23 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:
The Make The Cut site is GONE. This means that Make The Cut software and Popup Card Studio software are no longer for sale. This also means that there is no longer an option to retrieve your registration keys for MTC or PCS. You can no longer download MTC or PCS Trial versions or drivers. The MTC and PCS User Galleries no longer work within the software. 

However, you CAN still use Make The Cut and Popup Card Studio if you ever purchased it, and have saved it and your registration key on your computer. You DO need to PROTECT your copy of the software and your registration keys for future use. Save your entire Make The Cut! directory as well as your registration number to a thumb drive or a CD, in case you need to install Make The Cut to another computer. Copy everything from this folder  C:\Program Files (x86)\Make The Cut! to the thumb drive.  Then you can then plug in the thumb drive to a new computer and copy these files to the new computer.

Make The Cut is full featured cutting software that will cut directly to many different cutters. It includes many advanced design features. The software imports and exports many different file types. There have not been updates to this software in several years, so plugins for newer cutters are not available. But the software is still quite competitive in the market for those designing SVG cutting files.  You can create your own cutting files, or customize or edit designs that you have. Then you can select all (ctrl+a) and export as SVG Ctrl+Shift+S). These SVG files may be imported into your favorite cutting software.

The User Gallery in Make The Cut is no longer functional.  However, you can download thousands of designs from that Gallery. If you own Make The Cut, see this document to learn how to Retrieve your registration key by Sandy McCauley. She has also made some of the archived gallery files available for FREE download:

Files contributed by Dave (AKA Berry One) Dave contributed files primarily in MTC format. There are a few SVG files among his collection that even those who do not own Make The Cut can access.

MTC Gallery Rescue by User Paul Zingah   These are primarily files in MTC format with PNG thumbnail images.

Learning Make The Cut

Support for  Make The Cut software is available in the free User's Manual as well as at the Make The Cut Forum,  here at the free MTC-Tuts Group (join to access free  tutorials and cutting files), and at my YouTube channel.  We are here to help you use this excellent software. There are features in Make the Cut that I cannot find in other software. And many of its features are easier to use in MTC than in other programs. Make The Cut works very well in creating or customizing and editing cutting files. And you can export your designs from MTC to SVG format to use in other software programs on many different cutters.

Julie

Nyssa Lanzafame

wow! :(  thanks for the info!  i should get on this!  i tried scal-but never got it working :(  so i still use MTC...i was really hoping Andy would revive it.  Did it ever come out why he abandoned it?  it seems so odd  :(

Julie Flanagan

Yes, get your program and registration keys backed up to a thumb drive ASAP!!

Andy had a growing family to support, so he took a full time programming job. We were so sad to lose him! I am grateful that all of the hundreds of hours of Webinar Q& A are still available to view on Vimeo, and that volunteers continue to monitor the MTC Forum and answer questions. 

Julie

On 08/08/2020 5:15 PM Nyssa Lanzafame <nyssajoe@...> wrote:

wow! :(  thanks for the info!  i should get on this!  i tried scal-but never got it working :(  so i still use MTC...i was really hoping Andy would revive it.  Did it ever come out why he abandoned it?  it seems so odd  :(

Jeri Moody

This upsets me so much. I understand Andy had to do what was best for his family but it’s frustrating to those who supported him when he first started going and now there’s no way to recover our registration keys, such as in my case. My computer crashed and now I’m left with a program I can no longer use. Of course I appreciate everything he’s done with the MTC program but still sad that some will be left with nothing in the end. No different than another cutter company that turned their backs on their customers and supporters. Sorry I’m just disappointed right now.

Julie Flanagan

Did you try recovering your registration key using the instructions provided by Sandy McCauley? https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutorials/Make-The-Cut/Retrieving-MTC-and-PCS-Registrations.pdf

Julie

On 08/08/2020 7:09 PM Jeri Moody <craftyjsplace@...> wrote:

This upsets me so much. I understand Andy had to do what was best for his family but it’s frustrating to those who supported him when he first started going and now there’s no way to recover our registration keys, such as in my case. My computer crashed and now I’m left with a program I can no longer use. Of course I appreciate everything he’s done with the MTC program but still sad that some will be left with nothing in the end. No different than another cutter company that turned their backs on their customers and supporters. Sorry I’m just disappointed right now. 

Sharon Shear

It is so sad to see the MTC website completely gone.  I love MTC and thanks to Sandy I was able to retrieve my registration code when my pc bit the dust.
I kept hoping someone would buy the software company from Andy and keep it going. Didn't happen but at least can keep using it and now I have registration code backed up everywhere.

On Saturday, August 8, 2020, 7:23:38 PM EDT, Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

Learning Make The Cut

Julie

Goldie Holzer

I, too, got a new computer last week. I do have a directory of ‘applications’….tons of software.

I found that I have saved all of these.  Which one do I need for the latest version? Which one supports the old cricut stuff?

A screenshot of a cell phone

Description automatically generated

From: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io <main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io> On Behalf Of Julie Flanagan
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2020 9:24 PM
To: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io; Jeri Moody <craftyjsplace@...>
Subject: Re: [MTC-Tuts] IMPORTANT: MTC Site is GONE

Did you try recovering your registration key using the instructions provided by Sandy McCauley? https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutorials/Make-The-Cut/Retrieving-MTC-and-PCS-Registrations.pdf

Julie

Julie Flanagan

MTC 4.6.1 or 4.6.2 are the latest software versions. MTC 4.1.0 is the one you need to use with the Legacy Cricut machines. You also need the PCCPlugin.dll for use of MTC 4.1.0 to work with the legacy Cricut machines. You should find that in the plugins folder for MTC 4.1.0.

Julie

On 08/08/2020 9:06 PM Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...> wrote:

I, too, got a new computer last week. I do have a directory of ‘applications’….tons of software.

I found that I have saved all of these.  Which one do I need for the latest version? Which one supports the old cricut stuff?

A screenshot of a cell phone  Description automatically generated

From: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io <main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io> On Behalf Of Julie Flanagan

Julie

Patricia Wendell

Julie -

I installed my MTC months ago on my new computer when I was forced to upgrade to win 10, but it is showing it in the "unregistered" state and the "register" button one would normally use is now greyed out. I think the program is dead, dead now (even if you have the registration keys - which I do). I am checking my older computer now to see if it is the same.

Pat

On 8/8/2020 8:21 PM, Julie Flanagan wrote:

Andy had a growing family to support, so he took a full time programming job. We were so sad to lose him! I am grateful that all of the hundreds of hours of Webinar Q& A are still available to view on Vimeo, and that volunteers continue to monitor the MTC Forum and answer questions. 

Julie
On 08/08/2020 5:15 PM Nyssa Lanzafame <nyssajoe@...> wrote:

Patricia Wendell

I just checked my old computer, same issue - and I know for sure I had registered the old computer's version of MTC as I used it so extensively on the older computer. I wanted to check as I couldn't trust my memory regarding what I did on the new computer.

Even if you have the registration keys, you will not be able to register the software on a new computer. I am not sure what will happen if you have a previously registered version on your computer, and if you try to cut using the software - will it default to an "unregistered" state so that it cuts with a big slash? I never had a chance on the new computer to install the plug-ins, as I was so busy with trying to finish a quilt.

Luckily, SCAL was developed to the point of being able to open .mtc files. Of the two programs, however, .mtc had better vectorization of .jpg images. But over the course of time, I depended more on SCAL to do actual cutting.

Pat

Andy had a growing family to support, so he took a full time programming job. We were so sad to lose him! I am grateful that all of the hundreds of hours of Webinar Q& A are still available to view on Vimeo, and that volunteers continue to monitor the MTC Forum and answer questions.??

Julie

Cecelia Yeruski

I read the article on software on your website.  My questions are: Can Pazzles InVue do all of the things that MTC does? Is the scan feature as full-featured?  Does Silhouette Studio Designer Edition do all of the things that MTC does? What about the scan features of that software? What software comes closest to the scan feature of MTC?  I have Silhouette Studio Designer Edition, and an older version of SCAL.  Would there be any advantages to getting InVue? Please share your opinion on the longevity of the other programs.  Is SCAL likely to stay around?  Would it be good to upgrade to SCAL 5 and learn that now or is Silhouette Studio Designer Edition or InVue better?  I have never learned Silhouette Studio and only import files that I created in MTC to use to cut to a Portrait.  I also have a ScanNCut.  I have used MTC to make files for all of my cutters.  So in the end, should I concentrate on learning Studio, SCAL 5 or InVue?

On Saturday, August 8, 2020, 06:23:43 PM CDT, Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

Learning Make The Cut

Julie

yvonnejansambeek

This one.

Kind regards.

Yvonne

Van: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io <main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io> Namens Julie Flanagan
Verzonden: zondag 9 augustus 2020 7:19
Aan: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io; Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...>; Jeri Moody <craftyjsplace@...>
Onderwerp: Re: [MTC-Tuts] IMPORTANT: MTC Site is GONE

MTC 4.6.1 or 4.6.2 are the latest software versions. MTC 4.1.0 is the one you need to use with the Legacy Cricut machines. You also need the PCCPlugin.dll for use of MTC 4.1.0 to work with the legacy Cricut machines. You should find that in the plugins folder for MTC 4.1.0.

Julie

Julie

Julie Flanagan

Pazzles InVue software is my main go-to software for creating and editing, along with Make The Cut. I use both a lot, because they each have features that the other doesn't have. It is very easy for me to move files between the two programs to access the particular tools I need. 

Make the Cut is definitely better at advanced tracing. Pazzles trace is OK.  Pazzles has video tutorials for using their software trace features.

SCAL has more tracing features than Pazzles. See the SCAL manual for instructions on using the tracing features in it.

Silhouette Studio has nice tracing features. See cleversomeday's Tracing Without Tears for guidance using Silhouette Studio. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNOKWD0cY3j3D7plxnwBDTQRV9zPSC-ff 
The huge issue with using Silhouette Studio is that to export your own designs from there to SVG, you need to purchase the Business Edition of Silhouette Studio. But you cannot export your purchased Studio files as SVG unless you pay extra for that privilege. And those exported SVG files do not work properly for me, for some unknown reason. I only use Silhouette Studio for organizing and downloading files I have purchased from their online store. Their latest software does not work properly on my computers.

Try the software you have, then give the others a fair try to see which you prefer. 

Julie

On 08/09/2020 5:12 AM Cecelia Yeruski via groups.io <cilsemail@...> wrote:

I read the article on software on your website.  My questions are: Can Pazzles InVue do all of the things that MTC does? Is the scan feature as full-featured?  Does Silhouette Studio Designer Edition do all of the things that MTC does? What about the scan features of that software? What software comes closest to the scan feature of MTC?  I have Silhouette Studio Designer Edition, and an older version of SCAL.  Would there be any advantages to getting InVue? Please share your opinion on the longevity of the other programs.  Is SCAL likely to stay around?  Would it be good to upgrade to SCAL 5 and learn that now or is Silhouette Studio Designer Edition or InVue better?  I have never learned Silhouette Studio and only import files that I created in MTC to use to cut to a Portrait.  I also have a ScanNCut.  I have used MTC to make files for all of my cutters.  So in the end, should I concentrate on learning Studio, SCAL 5 or InVue?

On Saturday, August 8, 2020, 06:23:43 PM CDT, Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

Learning Make The Cut

Julie

Goldie Holzer

I just installed MTC and PCS on my new computer.   I have the registration for MTC but can’t find PCS. 

The MTC opened fine and opened some files…..but I don’t have time to try it out right now.  But it did REGISTER just fine.

From: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io <main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patricia Wendell via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2020 2:14 AM
To: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io

I just checked my old computer, same issue - and I know for sure I had registered the old computer's version of MTC as I used it so extensively on the older computer. I wanted to check as I couldn't trust my memory regarding what I did on the new computer.

Even if you have the registration keys, you will not be able to register the software on a new computer. I am not sure what will happen if you have a previously registered version on your computer, and if you try to cut using the software - will it default to an "unregistered" state so that it cuts with a big slash? I never had a chance on the new computer to install the plug-ins, as I was so busy with trying to finish a quilt.

Luckily, SCAL was developed to the point of being able to open .mtc files. Of the two programs, however, .mtc had better vectorization of .jpg images. But over the course of time, I depended more on SCAL to do actual cutting.

Pat

Andy had a growing family to support, so he took a full time programming job. We were so sad to lose him! I am grateful that all of the hundreds of hours of Webinar Q& A are still available to view on Vimeo, and that volunteers continue to monitor the MTC Forum and answer questions.??

Julie

Jamie B

L

From: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io [mailto:main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io] On Behalf Of Julie Flanagan
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2020 6:23 PM
Subject: [Special] [MTC-Tuts] IMPORTANT: MTC Site is GONE

Learning Make The Cut

Julie

ckiamarie Ross

Good afternoon I'm getting really nervous about all this talk this is the best software I have ever used I have illustrator am I make the cut is still the best!!  I have the registration key but I use it to cut on my windows 7.  I guess I'm not understanding what is it that I need to do in order to back it up ??  Will you be doing in video to show how to back it up and put it on a Flash drive??
 Thank you,  For being such a great educator all these years with the make the cut!!
Cathy Ross 

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/9/20 1:18 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io, Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...>, Jeri Moody <craftyjsplace@...>

Julie

Julie

Julie Flanagan

Use the information in the registration key recovery document to find keys for both MTC and PCS where you have MTC and PCS installed. Also check your backup files. https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutorials/Make-The-Cut/Retrieving-MTC-and-PCS-Registrations.pdf

When i ran the recover routine, it found both keys on my backup drive.

Julie

On 08/09/2020 9:15 AM Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...> wrote:

I just installed MTC and PCS on my new computer.   I have the registration for MTC but can’t find PCS. 

The MTC opened fine and opened some files…..but I don’t have time to try it out right now.  But it did REGISTER just fine.

From: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io <main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io> On Behalf Of Patricia Wendell via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2020 2:14 AM

Pat

Julie

Julie Flanagan

Thanks for your note. I will try to make a video covering how to make your backup if I have time this week.  Meanwhile do not delay. Read this document and follow its instructions: https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutorials/Make-The-Cut/Retrieving-MTC-and-PCS-Registrations.pdf

Copy your Make the Cut directory from here to your thumb drive:
C:\Program Files (X86)/Make The Cut!

When you run the routine to find your registration key, it will make a text file with your number(s) in it. Copy that file to the thumb drive as well. 

Julie

On 08/09/2020 1:42 PM ckiamarie Ross via groups.io <ckiamarie@...> wrote:

Good afternoon I'm getting really nervous about all this talk this is the best software I have ever used I have illustrator am I make the cut is still the best!!  I have the registration key but I use it to cut on my windows 7.  I guess I'm not understanding what is it that I need to do in order to back it up ??  Will you be doing in video to show how to back it up and put it on a Flash drive??
 Thank you,  For being such a great educator all these years with the make the cut!!
Cathy Ross 

To: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io, Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...>, Jeri Moody <craftyjsplace@...>

Julie

Julie

Wendi Olmstead

If MTC is going away, what will replace it?  
On 08/09/2020 2:27 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

Thanks for your note. I will try to make a video covering how to make your backup if I have time this week.  Meanwhile do not delay. Read this document and follow its instructions: https://www.iloveknk.com/Support/Tutorials/Make-The-Cut/Retrieving-MTC-and-PCS-Registrations.pdf

Copy your Make the Cut directory from here to your thumb drive:
C:\Program Files (X86)/Make The Cut!

When you run the routine to find your registration key, it will make a text file with your number(s) in it. Copy that file to the thumb drive as well. 

Julie
On 08/09/2020 1:42 PM ckiamarie Ross via groups.io <ckiamarie@...> wrote:

Cathy Ross 

Julie

Julie