Help on how to back up cricut carts as svgs

care_911@...

I was going through the tutorial, since when I get home and have access to my cricut, I don't usually have internet, but I am not understanding the process.

C. Install Cartridge Backup Via Cricut Design Studio
1. Start Cricut Design Studio by clicking on its icon on your desktop.
2. Go to the Start menu of your computer (lower left corner of your screen.)
07_Cartridge Backup
3 Copyright 2010 Flanagan Educational Services
3. Click on All Programs in XP or Programs in Vista.
4. From the list of installed programs, Select MakeTheCut!
and
5. The Cartridge Backup via Design Studio will be installed automatically. To
find out if the installation of the Backup was successful, look for a folder in
My Documents called CDS Backup Library. If you cannot find it, try the
installation again. Make sure Cricut Design Studio is open first. Then repeat
step 4 above.

I'm running windows 7 but I do not see anywhere cartridge backup in mtc. I've tried the start menu and in my computer. The start menu only lists the svg files I've downloaded recently in mtc. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and you do this in design studio somehow but I just cannot imagine Provocraft willingly giving people this ability. I don't see anything in my documents either--design studio is in there (and that isn't in their files) but mtc isn't and like I said where it is I see nothing like that.

Help, please!

Kimberly Onnen <kimberlyinmn@...>

It is kind of confusing until you do find where to click. :) It sounds like
you have pinned Make the Cut to the Start menu. You are actually looking for
the program's submenu.

1. Click Start, then click All Programs.
2. Click Make the Cut.
3. In the sub-menu for Make the Cut, you will see three options.

- Make the Cut
- Cartridge Backup via Design Studio
- Uninstall Make the Cut

4. Select Cartridge Backup via Design Studio.

Kimberly O.

Sarah St. <mommybug@...>

First of all you have to have the very latest MTC version. If you had 1.4 and didn't uninstall it, you need to do that and then install the latest MTC version. Once that is installed you go to the Start Menu, Program Files and then Make the Cut! folder and there should be on top of the list of files on that sub menu the Cricut Backup Link.

I have NEVER been able to find that particular folder that is listed (Cricut Backup Library), so I'd just skip that part. It's not important except as an indicator that the program is installed correctly. Like I said, I never did find it and I installed the latest version almost a dozen times trying to figure it out. This is an easier way to know if you have it installed correctly: You will know if it's running correctly because once you choose the Cricut Backup link from the Start Menu (can't remember what it's called) then a little window will pop up tell you that you are now in Back up mode. So, if you see that, then you are good to go! Hope that helps!

*Sarah St. George -- The Netherlands*
*Cricut Lovers Moderator,** Honorary Kim, Paper Hoarder and Enabler-in-Training. Fiskateer #4895*

Julie Flanagan

I have heard that after some people install the backup feature, that the program creates the folder called CDS Backup Library in a location other than in My Documents. That is OK, as long as you can find the folder in order to retrieve the backup files that will be saved to it. You can find that using the Search function in Windows. Go to Start, and select Search. click on All files and folders, type in CDS Backup Library, and click on the Search button. Make note of where the folder is found during this search.

Cricut Design studio (full or trial version) must be open on your computer in order for the backup feature to work.
After it is open, you should be able to find The Make The Cut Program. When you click on that, you should see Cartridge Backup via Design Studio. If you do not see that option, then your installation of Make the Cut 2.2.1 may not have been complete. Be sure to uninstall Make The Cut version 1.4 if you have that installed, before installing 2.2.1. MTC 2.2.1 may not install correctly otherwise.

If you see Cartridge Backup via Design Studio under Make the Cut in the Start Menu, then your MTC 2.2.1 did install correctly.

In order to run Design Studio in Backup mode, Open Design Studio first. Then run Cartridge Backup via Design Studio. When you select that option, a window allows you to browse to the folder where you want the backup files stored. You can make a new folder if you wish, in the location of your choice. When you click OK, you should get a notice that Design Studio is now running in Backup mode. You will need to open Design Studio and run Cartridge Backup via Design Studio each time you wish to use the backup feature.

You can prepare Cut files in advance and save them while away from your cutter, but you will not be able to use the backup mode unless your computer is connected to the Cricut with the required cartridges installed. If you prepared cut files, then you can open them one at a time and make your backups while you are connected to your Cricut.

The cartridge backup feature is not available directly from the MTC software. It is a program that runs in the background while Cricut Design studio is open and running. Make the Cut is a separate program. The files you create from the Backup program can be imported into Make The Cut and other software that uses SVG files.

care_911@...

OK, well, I tried to search for CDS backup library and my computer says no results.

I just bought the program about 2 days ago so I would think I had the most recent version, but apparently something is wrong, I just downloaded the link they gave me in the email they sent with my registration number. So where do I go to reinstall? Is that what I need to do?

care_911@...

I don't see cricut backup link either... So I guess it isn't installed correctly? Like I said, all I see is "recent" and that is previous svgs. There is nothing else. And I have CDS open.

Sarah St. <mommybug@...>

Every time I click on the option to go into Backup mode it gives me the option to choose which folder to save the backups into- and it never defaults to any Backup Library folder. So you don't even need that folder Backup Library folder, then as far as I can tell. I have made my own folders to put them into, based on the cartridge I was backing up at the time. I'm wondering why Andy even made it a part of the procedure if it allows you to choose another directory anyway? It makes the instructions more confusing, especially if the folder is not made in a standard place for every person. I spent half a day installing and reinstalling the silly program because I never could find that directory (even with a search) and come to find out it wasn't even an important part of the whole backup feature! LOL! I thought I had to have it in order for the program to work and so kept searching and searching. To me it's a better indicator that the program installed if you have the option to run in backup mode on the Start Menu then trying to find the elusive Library folder... but that's because I never could find it.

*Sarah St. George -- The Netherlands*
*Cricut Lovers Moderator,** Honorary Kim, Paper Hoarder and Enabler-in-Training. Fiskateer #4895*
http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx

Sarah St. <mommybug@...>

Just ignore that part- I never could find it either. If you have an option on your Start Menu under Programs--> Make the Cut!---> Cartridge Backup via Design Studio then you have installed it correctly and have the correct version. Start CDS, then choose that backup option from the Start Menu and if the little window pop ups saying you are now in back up mode, then you are good to go. I installed it over and over again, on TWO different computers and never did see that Backup Library directory. I don't know why, but for whatever reason it's not there and the back up function still works just fine!! Hope that helps!! :-)

*Sarah St. George -- The Netherlands*
*Cricut Lovers Moderator,** Honorary Kim, Paper Hoarder and Enabler-in-Training. Fiskateer #4895*
http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx

Julie Flanagan

I will rewrite the tutorial and repost it with some revisions, so others will not be confused by the location of the folder where the files are saved.

I don't see cricut backup link either... So I guess it isn't installed correctly? Like I said, all I see is "recent" and that is previous svgs. There is nothing else. And I have CDS open.

Kimberly Onnen <kimberlyinmn@...>

Try typing in "Cartridge Backup via Design Studio" in the search field when
you click the Start button.

Kimberly O.

Sarah St. <mommybug@...>

You are looking in the wrong place I think. Open CDS... then go to the Start Menu -- the big START button in the corner of the windows screen. Click on that, then on the Programs menu, then on Make the Cut! and under THAT menu will be the *Cartridge Backup via Design Studio* link. CLick on THAT and you should get the window that says you are in backup mode. You do NOT start the back up within any program, you can only start it from that Windows Start menu, however you must have CDS open in order for it to enter that backup mode. Hope that helps! :-) *
*

*Sarah St. George -- The Netherlands*
*Cricut Lovers Moderator,** Honorary Kim, Paper Hoarder and Enabler-in-Training. Fiskateer #4895*
http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx

Sarah St. <mommybug@...>

I think that would be helpful! I don't know why it saves in different places or doesn't have it at all, but if you can't find it you really get stuck at one point in the instructions, and like I said I wasted a bunch of time looking for it, only to realize that I didn't even need it. I kept thinking that it must be important and it won't work without it, so I didn't even try anything further. I think that trips up a lot of people if they have the same issue that the file can't be found.

Thanks for all the work on this Julie- even just your original (much less detailed) mail to the group was _very_ helpful to me- so having the instructions all laid out step-by-step in a file will be wonderful for people just starting out with it! :-)

*Sarah St. George -- The Netherlands*
*Cricut Lovers Moderator,** Honorary Kim, Paper Hoarder and Enabler-in-Training. Fiskateer #4895*
http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx

care_911@...

Thank you ladies... Appreciate the help, someone over at the MTC boards helped me and it just clicked for me... I even watched a video and didn't know what I was doing wrong. It turned out to be that when I was clicking "start" it was bringing up programs (how it usually does if they are most used or recently used) and mtc was on there and I was clicking on that. I had to click on start, then all programs, find another mtc, and click on that, and it brought it up.

LOL just the right turn of phrase, which was "mtc group". Helped that the person was also running windows 7 so they could give me windows-7-specific directions.

Thank you! :) Much appreciated.