Topics

Designing a Simple Pop-Up Card

joanmeg

Basically, I'm pretty familiar with MTC and overall quite computer literate, but this is driving me crazy. I tried to design a single pop-up insert for a 5x7 vertical card and one of the folds (the top one) is not aligning properly to close the card flat (the other 2 folds are fine). I know the basics of drawing the 2 cut lines for the right & left of the pop-up (how far apart they are will determine the width of the pop-up), and the 3 dashed lines in the middle for the mountain & valley folds. I guess my question is are there set parameters that must be used for the length & positioning of these lines?  Does one line have to be the same distance from some other line, and do any of the lines need to be a certain size/distance from each other & the middle of the card, etc.?

Right now I'm working on a simple 1 pc. pop-up. But I'd like to be able to do more than one "pop-up" in a card & know how to vary the length, width, distance, etc. so I can add different sized diecuts.  The card below is from pazzles craft room & has multiple "pop-ups." I'd like to be able to make this card as well (I'm not a member)...once I know the "rules" I think I can figure it out.  --Joanmeg 

Liz Ackerman

Joanmeg...you’ve come on board just a little too late! You’ve missed out on PopUpCard Studio, which would make designing the below a much simpler process than doing it in MTC. You could try another product called PopUp Card Designer Pro:

You might also want to watch a few of the basic videos by Susan Bluerobot. She was the inspiration for PopUpCard Studio, and assisted the developer by being his beta tester. I don’t know of anyone else who is as accomplished as Susan.

You’re top fold has a limitation....it is explained in the basic videos.

Hope that helps!

Liz

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 2:45 PM
To: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io
Subject: [MTC-Tuts] Designing a Simple Pop-Up Card

Basically, I'm pretty familiar with MTC and overall quite computer literate, but this is driving me crazy. I tried to design a single pop-up insert for a 5x7 vertical card and one of the folds (the top one) is not aligning properly to close the card flat (the other 2 folds are fine). I know the basics of drawing the 2 cut lines for the right & left of the pop-up (how far apart they are will determine the width of the pop-up), and the 3 dashed lines in the middle for the mountain & valley folds. I guess my question is are there set parameters that must be used for the length & positioning of these lines?  Does one line have to be the same distance from some other line, and do any of the lines need to be a certain size/distance from each other & the middle of the card, etc.?

Right now I'm working on a simple 1 pc. pop-up. But I'd like to be able to do more than one "pop-up" in a card & know how to vary the length, width, distance, etc. so I can add different sized diecuts.  The card below is from pazzles craft room & has multiple "pop-ups." I'd like to be able to make this card as well (I'm not a member)...once I know the "rules" I think I can figure it out.  --Joanmeg 

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Julie Flanagan

This is a very simple popup card. You can recreate the concept by folding a card in half, then cutting with scissors to make several tabs.  Make sure that both sides of each tab are exactly the same height. The center tab is slightly longer on this card than the outer tabs.  Once you can cut with scissors, open the card. You will see that each tab is folded exactly on the center line of the card, and the top half of each tab is exactly the same length as the bottom half of the tab. Now you can reproduce the design in your software. It helps to look at a complete card as you are creating the design. 

Julie

On 09/20/2020 7:42 AM Liz Ackerman <ackerliz@...> wrote:

Joanmeg...you’ve come on board just a little too late! You’ve missed out on PopUpCard Studio, which would make designing the below a much simpler process than doing it in MTC. You could try another product called PopUp Card Designer Pro:

You might also want to watch a few of the basic videos by Susan Bluerobot. She was the inspiration for PopUpCard Studio, and assisted the developer by being his beta tester. I don’t know of anyone else who is as accomplished as Susan.

Hope that helps!

Liz

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Diane Bove

This may help with visual. Extreme papercrafting has some great examples of the cuts needed for pop up cards. I learned to make my first pop up with a paper punch. Here is a link to her blog explaining them. https://www.extremepapercrafting.com/p/pop-up-lessons-how-to-books.html?m=1

~Diane

On Sep 20, 2020, at 3:31 PM, Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

This is a very simple popup card. You can recreate the concept by folding a card in half, then cutting with scissors to make several tabs.  Make sure that both sides of each tab are exactly the same height. The center tab is slightly longer on this card than the outer tabs.  Once you can cut with scissors, open the card. You will see that each tab is folded exactly on the center line of the card, and the top half of each tab is exactly the same length as the bottom half of the tab. Now you can reproduce the design in your software. It helps to look at a complete card as you are creating the design. 

Julie

Hope that helps!

Liz

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Liz Ackerman

That’s a great share, Diane, thanks for that!!

Liz

Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 6:38 AM
To: main@mtc-tuts.groups.io
Subject: Re: [MTC-Tuts] Designing a Simple Pop-Up Card

This may help with visual. Extreme papercrafting has some great examples of the cuts needed for pop up cards. I learned to make my first pop up with a paper punch. Here is a link to her blog explaining them. https://www.extremepapercrafting.com/p/pop-up-lessons-how-to-books.html?m=1

~Diane

On Sep 20, 2020, at 3:31 PM, Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

Julie

Hope that helps!

Liz

Virus-free. www.avg.com

joanmeg

Thank you for the link, Diane! The explanations were clear and the photos gave me a much better visual reference. Lots of great information here!

One last question…What is the easiest way to position lines or objects a specific number of inches away from the edges, or from another object, other than counting the grids?  E.G. my background object is a 7x10 rectangle (the card base). I’d like to position one horizontal line 1.5 inches from the top of the 7” horizontal edge and another horizontal line 1.5 inches from the bottom; and one vertical line 2 inches from the left of the 10 in. vertical edge and another line 2 inches from the right 10” vertical edge.

Julie Flanagan

In any of our cutter software you can select a line or shape, and position it where you want it to be, x being the horizontal position, and y being the vertical position. 

Julie

On 09/23/2020 2:48 PM joanmeg <mailbox@...> wrote:

Thank you for the link, Diane! The explanations were clear and the photos gave me a much better visual reference. Lots of great information here!

One last question…What is the easiest way to position lines or objects a specific number of inches away from the edges, or from another object, other than counting the grids?  E.G. my background object is a 7x10 rectangle (the card base). I’d like to position one horizontal line 1.5 inches from the top of the 7” horizontal edge and another horizontal line 1.5 inches from the bottom; and one vertical line 2 inches from the left of the 10 in. vertical edge and another line 2 inches from the right 10” vertical edge.

joanmeg

I know you can drag it anywhere. But what values would need to be entered for the x and y positions to make each shape a specific no. of inches from another shape? In the above illustration, what should be entered to make each vertical line 2" from the left edge and 2" from the right?

Liz Ackerman

I just do the math.

Shape 1 is at 1 inch X axis and its 3.2 inches wide. I want them to 1 inch apart. Shape 2 will go at X = 3.2 (width) + 1 (starting X value) + 1 (space) = 5.2 would X value for Shape 2. SCAL doesn’t even have a function to do this automatically. I don’t know of software that does, other than raster editing programs, perhaps.

I don’t recall seeing your illustration.

Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 6:06 PM

I know you can drag it anywhere. But what values would need to be entered for the x and y positions to make each shape a specific no. of inches from another shape? In the above illustration, what should be entered to make each vertical line 2" from the left edge and 2" from the right?

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Trisha

Don't most programs have a graph you can turn off and on? MTC! has a graph on the virtual mat which can be used to place objects a certain distance from edges vertically and horizontally. HTH.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone

Liz Ackerman

Yes I use a variety of graphics design programs, and I can’t think of one that does not have a grid that is either permanent or you can turn it on or off. That’s helpful for manual placement, but you still have to do that math =) if you are looking for precise placement.

Sent: Friday, September 25, 2020 10:39 AM

Don't most programs have a graph you can turn off and on? MTC! has a graph on the virtual mat which can be used to place objects a certain distance from edges vertically and horizontally. HTH.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Smartphone

Virus-free. www.avg.com