Topics

Cutting a rectangle

Lynn Cook

Hopefully I'm posting my question to the right place as this is the first time I've posted since the group changed.

I am trying to cut a bunch of rectangles to use as card layers.  I pulled up a rectangle from the shapes file in MTC and made it the size I want it to be.  The cutter starts from the top left corner of the rectangle and goes right.  At the end of the cut, it appears that the blade stops a hair before it reaches the beginning point and makes a tiny cut just a hair to the right.  This leaves a little piece hanging.  I hope this makes sense.  It wouldn't be so bad if it just stopped a hair before the end--I could just use my xacto knife to cut it but it seems to make that little jump to the right.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Liz Ackerman

I gather you may be using Make The Cut!?

If so what is your cutter? Most cutters have an adjustment on the Overcut....this allows the blade to advance past the spot where it started to ensure that the cut is complete. I think sometimes the wrong blade offset could also be the problem – so what cutter, what is blade offset, what blade are you using, what pressure?

If your cutter doesn’t have an Overcut option, you can overcome this quirk by choosing a multicut, a multicut of 2 would ensure that the shapes are fully cut out.

Hope that helps!

Liz

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 8:32 AM
To: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io
Subject: [MTC-Tuts] Cutting a rectangle

Hopefully I'm posting my question to the right place as this is the first time I've posted since the group changed.

I am trying to cut a bunch of rectangles to use as card layers.  I pulled up a rectangle from the shapes file in MTC and made it the size I want it to be.  The cutter starts from the top left corner of the rectangle and goes right.  At the end of the cut, it appears that the blade stops a hair before it reaches the beginning point and makes a tiny cut just a hair to the right.  This leaves a little piece hanging.  I hope this makes sense.  It wouldn't be so bad if it just stopped a hair before the end--I could just use my xacto knife to cut it but it seems to make that little jump to the right.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Lynn Cook

I used Make the Cut and the Pazzles Invue software and got the same results.  I prefer MTC.  Anyway, so I have a Pazzles Invue and I use the Pazzles brand standard blade. I use Neenah 80 lb paper, select the Cardstock (Thick) and the suggested blade length of 3-1/2, pressure 23. I’ve never used blade offset….don’t even know where to look for that. Do you know if Pazzles has an overcut option?

Thanks,

Lynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: [MTC-Tuts] Cutting a rectangle

If so what is your cutter? Most cutters have an adjustment on the Overcut....this allows the blade to advance past the spot where it started to ensure that the cut is complete. I think sometimes the wrong blade offset could also be the problem – so what cutter, what is blade offset, what blade are you using, what pressure?

If your cutter doesn’t have an Overcut option, you can overcome this quirk by choosing a multicut, a multicut of 2 would ensure that the shapes are fully cut out.

Hope that helps!

Liz

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Julie Flanagan

Yes, there is a way to change the settings. But I recommend that you not change the settings. Instead select two passes for cutting. This way the blade will not lift before doing the 2nd pass. There will be no small chads. 

On 09/20/2020 10:05 AM Lynn Cook via groups.io <bbddcrickie@...> wrote:

I used Make the Cut and the Pazzles Invue software and got the same results.  I prefer MTC.  Anyway, so I have a Pazzles Invue and I use the Pazzles brand standard blade. I use Neenah 80 lb paper, select the Cardstock (Thick) and the suggested blade length of 3-1/2, pressure 23. I’ve never used blade offset….don’t even know where to look for that. Do you know if Pazzles has an overcut option?

Thanks,

Lynn

Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 10:14 AM

Hope that helps!

Liz

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Julie Flanagan

Check that you are using an authentic blade in your machine. If you are using a third party blade, you will have this issue. Pazzles blades are 60 degree, all-purpose blades. If you use a 45 degree blade instead, you will end up with a chad at the beginning of the cut. You change the offset of the blade if you change the angle of the blade.

Julie

On 09/18/2020 8:32 AM Lynn Cook via groups.io <bbddcrickie@...> wrote:

Lynn Cook

Julie,

I tried changing the start points on my rectangles and they cut perfectly!  I only did one pass and it still worked.  Thanks for your help….I still am curious if you should lower the blade length and pressure when you do more than one pass at the recommended settings.

Thanks,

Lynn

Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 2:34 PM

Check that you are using an authentic blade in your machine. If you are using a third party blade, you will have this issue. Pazzles blades are 60 degree, all-purpose blades. If you use a 45 degree blade instead, you will end up with a chad at the beginning of the cut. You change the offset of the blade if you change the angle of the blade.

Julie

Julie Flanagan

When using double cut, you need either less blade extension or less pressure, or both. If the 2nd pass did not cut directly over the 1st, that indicates that either your blade was out too far, or your pressure was too high, creating excess drag on the blade. Always do test cuts. 

See this post.

Julie

On 09/20/2020 2:18 PM Lynn Cook via groups.io <bbddcrickie@...> wrote:

Julie,

I tried changing the start points on my rectangles and they cut perfectly!  I only did one pass and it still worked.  Thanks for your help….I still am curious if you should lower the blade length and pressure when you do more than one pass at the recommended settings.

Thanks,

Lynn

Julie

Liz Ackerman

Lynn...not sure how you changed your start points, but glad that worked for you.

When doing multiple passes, I never change the pressure or the blade tip length. The blade tip length is always set so that it can ONLY ever go through the depth of the paper being cut – hold the blade holder with the blade tip on the edge of the paper...the tip should not be higher than the paper is thick. When the blade tip length is correct, you will not have issues with drag affecting the mat, ie the blade tip gouges into the mat and tries to cut it as well, causing the mat to move because of the pressure on it (it doesn’t have to be a high pressure at all if the blade tip is too exposed). Pressure increases without changing the blade tip length would be used when the blade is starting to get dull, but is not yet dull enough to warrant changing the blade, ie the cuts are still crisp and clean and not ragged.

So – correct blade tip length means the tip is not exposed more than the thickness of the material being cut, it is then impossible to gouge into the mat. Pressure increases without changes to blade tip length help increase longevity of the blade...cuts must be crisp and clean, no ragged edges.

Hope that helps!

Liz

Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 2:18 PM

Julie,

Thanks,

Lynn

Julie

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Lynn Cook

Hi, Liz.

Thanks for the info!  I used my Pazzles software to move the start point.  Someone from the Pazzles facebook group told me how to do it.  I can’t believe what a difference it made!

Lynn

Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 10:15 AM

Lynn...not sure how you changed your start points, but glad that worked for you.

When doing multiple passes, I never change the pressure or the blade tip length. The blade tip length is always set so that it can ONLY ever go through the depth of the paper being cut – hold the blade holder with the blade tip on the edge of the paper...the tip should not be higher than the paper is thick. When the blade tip length is correct, you will not have issues with drag affecting the mat, ie the blade tip gouges into the mat and tries to cut it as well, causing the mat to move because of the pressure on it (it doesn’t have to be a high pressure at all if the blade tip is too exposed). Pressure increases without changing the blade tip length would be used when the blade is starting to get dull, but is not yet dull enough to warrant changing the blade, ie the cuts are still crisp and clean and not ragged.

So – correct blade tip length means the tip is not exposed more than the thickness of the material being cut, it is then impossible to gouge into the mat. Pressure increases without changes to blade tip length help increase longevity of the blade...cuts must be crisp and clean, no ragged edges.

Hope that helps!

Liz

Julie,

Thanks,

Lynn

Julie

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Liz Ackerman

Ahhh, makes sense. MTC only allows you to reverse the cut direction, it manages the start point based on what is being drawn.

Liz

Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 8:29 AM

Hi, Liz.

Thanks for the info!  I used my Pazzles software to move the start point.  Someone from the Pazzles facebook group told me how to do it.  I can’t believe what a difference it made!

Lynn

Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 10:15 AM

Hope that helps!

Liz

Julie,

Thanks,

Lynn

Julie

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Lynn Cook

I’ve never used a third party blade in my Pazzles.  For me, it’s not worth the risk taking a chance of running into other problems!   All my blades come from Pazzles.

I tried making two passes.  There is no chad now but it did cut off a very, very thin sliver off the top of the rectangle.  It makes a little difference when your next layer is only 1/16” smaller but I guess I can work around that by making the next layer a hair smaller.  Also, when you do two passes, do you shorten the blade any or reduce the pressure from the recommend amount? 

Thanks,

Lynn

Julie

Julie Flanagan

If you are using a good blade, make sure that you do test cuts first to determine the best settings for the media and environment. See this post for information on how to do test cuts: https://cuttercrafter.com/test-cuts-new-cutter/

If your blade depth and pressure settings are correct, your rectangle should cut properly. If not, you can try reversing the direction of the cut. Or you can do a double pass. If the 2nd pass does not cut directly over the position of the first pass, then it is likely that either your pressure is too high, or the blade too deep. 

Julie

On 09/20/2020 1:18 PM Lynn Cook via groups.io <bbddcrickie@...> wrote:

I’ve never used a third party blade in my Pazzles.  For me, it’s not worth the risk taking a chance of running into other problems!   All my blades come from Pazzles.

I tried making two passes.  There is no chad now but it did cut off a very, very thin sliver off the top of the rectangle.  It makes a little difference when your next layer is only 1/16” smaller but I guess I can work around that by making the next layer a hair smaller.  Also, when you do two passes, do you shorten the blade any or reduce the pressure from the recommend amount? 

Thanks,

Lynn

Julie