Cricut Design Space Changes Coming

Julie Flanagan

Changes coming to Cricut Design Space-Good and BAD! Cricut Design Space will soon be adding an offset feature (AKA outline, shadow layer). This is a good, long overdue feature. Now for the BAD new feature. If you do not purchase their membership plan, Cricut Access, you will be limited to uploading ONLY 20 of your own designs from other software per month. This is a problem for me, and for many people who share free designs with Cricut Design Space users. All users who collect free SVG files to use with their Cricut Explore or Maker machines will be limited to using only up to 20 of those designs per month, or be forced to pay for a subscription. I don't need access to Cricut designs, because I design my own. But if I want to cut them on my Expore or Maker I have to use their software. Now they want to force me to PAY to cut more than 20 of my own designs per month?

I hope there will be an uprising among Cricut users to stop this foolishness!!!!!! I suspect that this is illegal. People should be able to cut their own designs on machines that they purchased without having to pay for a subscription. Especially since there is no other software that allowed to cut to these machines.

I already feel like a slave to illegal mask mandates and lockdowns. This new Cricut policy smacks of further control that I cannot tolerate.

What do you think? If this new policy bothers you, I hope you will join me in complaining to Cricut.

Julie

dragonlord0666

to be fair I got my sister to dump cricut a couple years ago and move over a cameo.  best move ever!!

On 13/03/2021 4:25 am, Julie Flanagan wrote:

Changes coming to Cricut Design Space-Good and BAD! Cricut Design Space will soon be adding an offset feature (AKA outline, shadow layer). This is a good, long overdue feature. Now for the BAD new feature. If you do not purchase their membership plan, Cricut Access, you will be limited to uploading ONLY 20 of your own designs from other software per month. This is a problem for me, and for many people who share free designs with Cricut Design Space users. All users who collect free SVG files to use with their Cricut Explore or Maker machines will be limited to using only up to 20 of those designs per month, or be forced to pay for a subscription. I don't need access to Cricut designs, because I design my own. But if I want to cut them on my Expore or Maker I have to use their software. Now they want to force me to PAY to cut more than 20 of my own designs per month?

I hope there will be an uprising among Cricut users to stop this foolishness!!!!!! I suspect that this is illegal. People should be able to cut their own designs on machines that they purchased without having to pay for a subscription. Especially since there is no other software that allowed to cut to these machines.

I already feel like a slave to illegal mask mandates and lockdowns. This new Cricut policy smacks of further control that I cannot tolerate.

What do you think? If this new policy bothers you, I hope you will join me in complaining to Cricut. Julie

Goldie Holzer

HOLY COW.  Sounds like Apple’s proprietary crap.    In my position of somewhat ‘power’ it was my duty to be in contact with top level Apple and IBM (ok, it was the 90’s, lol).   IBM always cooperated and gave us great deals. Apple basically said you know what.   This was a university I worked for.

And as the iphone developed, their attitude did not change and has not changed.  Nor do I expect it to.

Sounds like Cricut is traveling that road as well.   How do we ‘fuss’ about it?  I don’t have a Maker yet, but was considering it if it went on sale again.   But maybe I won’t.

From: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io <main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io> On Behalf Of Julie Flanagan
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2021 10:26 PM
To: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io
Subject: [MTC-Tuts] Cricut Design Space Changes Coming

What do you think? If this new policy bothers you, I hope you will join me in complaining to Cricut.

Julie

SueKaye

This is just another reason to avoid purchasing another product from this company.    I too design my own files and use MTC (the new to create and old version to cut to my old machine)   I am going to write them and voice my opinion…

Thanks for the heads up Julie

From: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io [mailto:main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io] On Behalf Of Julie Flanagan
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2021 11:26 PM

Julie

Brenda Bennett

I’m with you Julie, on EVERYTHING! From Cricut, to masks to the lockdowns!

Have a blessed day!

On Mar 12, 2021, at 11:26 PM, Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

Julie

ckiamarie Ross

Julie, 
 Just to be clear if you want to use  You're Explorer 2 or newer cricut machines you have to purchase a subscription??  So if we design it in another software and sent to the cricut to cut you can only do it 20 times a month??
 Unless you sign up, I thought this was free so now there will be charging??

Thanks for always keeping us informed.

Cathy

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/12/21 11:26 PM (GMT-05:00)

Julie

ellen holliman

Julie, thanks for the heads up! This also makes me furious! Is there anyone in particular we should contact? 

Thanks

Ellen

---
Ellen S. Holliman
Retired
209 16th Avenue North
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582 Cell - 336-250-8115

On 2021-03-12 23:25, Julie Flanagan wrote:

Julie

Jstfrmnita

Where do I send my complaint? I too would rather not have to purchase their access and instead purchase an individual cut file or make my own. I'm not sure I use more than 20 items, but I still think it is unfair. (I still use MTC frequently.) Anita Rhynes

Kathy Kelley

Hi Julie,

I have never understood the fascination with Cricut machines.  They are heavily advertised and have serious limitations on what you can do with them.  In 2012, before I purchased my cutting machine, I had an opportunity to see and use a Cricut.  I was more than disappointed with the machine.  There is no way I would ever purchase one.

The only thing that Cricut will understand is a boycott of their products.  I feel bad for the people who have their machines especially since they probably didn't see the limitations prior to purchase.  I consider myself one of the lucky ones who decided to look elsewhere for a cutting machine.

Thank you for all that you do for everyone.  I do hope that Cricut will reconsider their current policy, but more than that I hope that Cricut owners will look into other machines for their crafting.

Kathy

On Friday, March 12, 2021, 8:26:18 PM PST, Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

Julie

Linda

Yeah. THIS is ONE of the reasons I refuse to buy a cricut. Their business practices are brutal.
I hate the way they have flooded the internet with their products by distributing to prominent bloggers and Instagram account owners, making it seem as though they are the only choice in machines. They pay bloggers to blog about their products.
Everyone needs a cricut, right?

Now, after the Christmas of the maker and the release of the mug maker, the noose once again tightens.

Just their way of doing business.
Just my opinion of a company that I have no respect for, from a long history with.

I hope some of their paid blogger/ Instagrams speak up.

Linda

Julie Flanagan

Cricut CEO is ashish arora cricut on Facebook. You can search for him on Facebook and leave him a private message. Or simply send a note via customer service. 

Julie

On 03/13/2021 6:22 AM ellen holliman <ellen@...> wrote:

Julie, thanks for the heads up! This also makes me furious! Is there anyone in particular we should contact? 

Thanks

Ellen

---
Ellen S. Holliman
Retired
209 16th Avenue North
North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582 Cell - 336-250-8115

On 2021-03-12 23:25, Julie Flanagan wrote:

Julie

Julie Flanagan

You can private message the Cricut CEO on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ashish.arora.5855
They will likely delete negative posts.

Julie

On 03/13/2021 7:26 AM Jstfrmnita via groups.io <jstfrmnita@...> wrote:

Where do I send my complaint? I too would rather not have to purchase their access and instead purchase an individual cut file or make my own. I'm not sure I use more than 20 items, but I still think it is unfair. (I still use MTC frequently.) Anita Rhynes

Julie Flanagan

https://www.facebook.com/ashish.arora.5855

Julie Flanagan

Yes, if you use Cricut Explore or Maker machines that require the use of Cricut Design Space to cut to your machine, with this new policy, you will be allowed to upload only 20 designs a month to cut to your machine. You can use unlimited designs available in Cricut Desing Space, but if you purchase or use designs from other software, the number of uploads of SVG files and images will be limited. 

Julie

On 03/13/2021 4:47 AM ckiamarie Ross via groups.io <ckiamarie@...> wrote:

Julie, 
 Just to be clear if you want to use  You're Explorer 2 or newer cricut machines you have to purchase a subscription??  So if we design it in another software and sent to the cricut to cut you can only do it 20 times a month??

Cathy

Julie

tracylitsinger@att.net <tracylitsinger@...>

i literally just bought my air 2, i needed one that would cut any fabric to be an appliwue, bought it to do 1 job, and the day i bought it there was issues with DS, i have an OLD expressions machine from "back in the day", i have a roland but it does not have a mat to cut non backed fabric, I am serioulsy thinking of selling it and getting a different machine..the only thing i will do is cut applique fabric for embroidery designs..

On Saturday, March 13, 2021, 12:14:24 PM EST, Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...> wrote:

HOLY COW.  Sounds like Apple’s proprietary crap.    In my position of somewhat ‘power’ it was my duty to be in contact with top level Apple and IBM (ok, it was the 90’s, lol).   IBM always cooperated and gave us great deals. Apple basically said you know what.   This was a university I worked for.

And as the iphone developed, their attitude did not change and has not changed.  Nor do I expect it to.

Sounds like Cricut is traveling that road as well.   How do we ‘fuss’ about it?  I don’t have a Maker yet, but was considering it if it went on sale again.   But maybe I won’t.

From: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io <main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io> On Behalf Of Julie Flanagan
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2021 10:26 PM

Julie

t.amsl@yahoo.com

That is why I quit being a Cricut user years ago.  They keep making changes that force you to spend $.  I still have my Cricut Explore with cartridges and can use Makes the cut with it.  I have the Gazelle and Scan n cut dx125.

🔷Tina Johnston
Pray, hope and don't worry.

tracylitsinger@att.net <tracylitsinger@...>

i am looking at the cameo 4 right now, i need someone who has one to message me please and let me know the pros of it.. do you need to subscribe to cameo u? can you use it as a stand alone machine or do you need to use an online function likd cricut? i want a machine that has its own software that i can use while offline

On Saturday, March 13, 2021, 12:40:52 PM EST, Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

Yes, if you use Cricut Explore or Maker machines that require the use of Cricut Design Space to cut to your machine, with this new policy, you will be allowed to upload only 20 designs a month to cut to your machine. You can use unlimited designs available in Cricut Desing Space, but if you purchase or use designs from other software, the number of uploads of SVG files and images will be limited. 

Julie
On 03/13/2021 4:47 AM ckiamarie Ross via groups.io <ckiamarie@...> wrote:

Julie, 

Cathy

Julie

Graham Toal

Well, that ( https://makethecut.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/40174/an-apology-from-cricut ) lasted longer than I expected.

Assuming your report is accurate, then the old Cricut is back.

G

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 10:26 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

Julie

Jonnie in SC

I agree with Linda. Cricut began their sir of superiority  before 2000 when they threatened other software companies and quit allowing them to cut to a Cricut machine. This ended my desire to use and associate with the Cricut company.  Shame on such business practices.

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 Linda via groups.io <main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io> wrote:

Yeah. THIS is ONE of the reasons I refuse to buy a cricut. Their business practices are brutal.
I hate the way they have flooded the internet with their products by distributing to prominent bloggers and Instagram account owners, making it seem as though they are the only choice in machines. They pay bloggers to blog about their products.
Everyone needs a cricut, right?

Now, after the Christmas of the maker and the release of the mug maker, the noose once again tightens.

Just their way of doing business.
Just my opinion of a company that I have no respect for, from a long history with.

I hope some of their paid blogger/ Instagrams speak up.

Linda

Janet Schaefer

Hah! I’m shocked.

I still have my Cricut Expression I bought on clearance in 2008 and run with MTC. No way would I ever buy another product from them, because of their business practices.

Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2021 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: [MTC-Tuts] Cricut Design Space Changes Coming

You can private message the Cricut CEO on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ashish.arora.5855
They will likely delete negative posts.
Julie

Virus-free. www.avast.com