Topics

can't import at non-integer DPI... workaround?

Graham Toal

I have a file exported from Inkscape.  Its units are in mm, so when I try to set the dpi in MTC for an SVG import, I should be entering 25.4 units per inch - but the software only accepts whole numbers so I end up importing at 25 units per inch.

Assuming I can't change the import DPI to accept a decimal, is there a way to decrease the size of the imported SVG by exactly 1.5748% to correct it in MTC?  Other than dragging by hand and eye..?

thanks,

Graham
PS You guys probably know this already, but I've had this argument before in a different context, so just in case anyone says it was increased by 1.6% so should be decreased by 1.6%, that's not the math:

25.4     -> 100
25.0     -> 100*25.4/25.0 = 101.6%

so to correct, increase by   (101.6-100)/101.6 * 100  percent = -1.5748%

(It's the same as if you earn $100/day and get a 50% pay rise bringing you to $150/day.  To get reduced back to $100/day you would take a 33.333% pay cut, even though it was +$50 and then -$50 in absolute units.)

Julie Flanagan

If you can copy the height and width of the original file, then you can resize to that exact size after import into MTC. You can resize by a specific % after import, if you care to do the math.

Julie

On 11/26/2020 4:37 PM Graham Toal <gtoal@...> wrote:

[...]

Inkscape uses a 96 DPI, and MTC uses 90 DPI which was the standard while MTC development was active. After importing, select all (Ctrl+A). With the aspect ration locked (gold icon showing on the width and height), enter the % increase that you need for the imported design to be the same as the original and press Enter. The design will resize.

We cannot change the import DPI, but we can change the design size by any percentage we choose.

[...]

that did it!  great workaround, thanks!

Graham

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 7:38 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:
.After importing, select all (Ctrl+A). With the aspect ration locked (gold icon showing on the width and height), enter the % increase that you need for the imported design to be the same as the original and press Enter. The design will resize.

Graham Toal

I found an easier way to use this trick: I tell MTC that I'm importing at 254DPI, then I move the decimal point to multiply the sizes by 10.  Much easier than remembering the ratio between 25 and 25.4 :-)  Thanks again.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 7:38 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:
After importing, select all (Ctrl+A). With the aspect ratio locked (gold icon showing on the width and height), enter the % increase that you need for the imported design to be the same as the original and press Enter. The design will resize.

We cannot change the import DPI, but we can change the design size by any percentage we choose.

Julie Flanagan

Thanks for sharing your success.

Julie

On 11/26/2020 9:34 PM Graham Toal <gtoal@...> wrote:

I found an easier way to use this trick: I tell MTC that I'm importing at 254DPI, then I move the decimal point to multiply the sizes by 10.  Much easier than remembering the ratio between 25 and 25.4 :-)  Thanks again.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 7:38 PM Julie Flanagan < craftymusician@...> wrote:
After importing, select all (Ctrl+A). With the aspect ratio locked (gold icon showing on the width and height), enter the % increase that you need for the imported design to be the same as the original and press Enter. The design will resize.

We cannot change the import DPI, but we can change the design size by any percentage we choose.

Liz Ackerman

I am going to assume you are using a very early version of MTC that supported Cricut cutters AND gave the user the ability to change File => import DPI values of a graphic (changing the DPI does not successfully change the quality, as MTC is not a raster editing program). The last version of MTC does not have that feature, and as Julie stated it imports at the set rate of 90 DPI. Once you have imported an image, MTC has created a cutting path from it and you can make it any size you want using width and height values. The cutting process does not need dpi information - which is technology used in PRINTING images, not cutting them.

On 11/26/2020 10:34 PM, Graham Toal wrote:
I found an easier way to use this trick: I tell MTC that I'm importing at 254DPI, then I move the decimal point to multiply the sizes by 10.  Much easier than remembering the ratio between 25 and 25.4 :-)  Thanks again.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 7:38 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:
After importing, select all (Ctrl+A). With the aspect ratio locked (gold icon showing on the width and height), enter the % increase that you need for the imported design to be the same as the original and press Enter. The design will resize.

We cannot change the import DPI, but we can change the design size by any percentage we choose.
_._,_._,_