Printers?/Re: [Special] [MTC-Tuts] Prime Day 2021 for Crafters

Wendi Olmstead

When I saw this post I thought oh maybe my chance to get a printer that will print larger than 8.5x11.  Like maybe 12x12.  Anyone have one that you can recommend?  Or steer me away from?
Thanks,
Wendi
On 06/21/2021 10:30 AM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

Amazon Prime Day 2021 starts today,  Monday, June 21, 2021,and continues for 48 hours this year! Prime Day is a once-a-year HUGE sale at Amazon —when over 100,000 items get put on sale. It’s bigger than Black Friday for Amazon. Normally Prime Day is held in July, but it was postponed last year due to the pandemic. This year it is back, earlier than in previous years. I am so glad that it is back now, as I found a number of items I need to reorder while I was updating the list. I have already purchased some items during the pre-prime day sales at amazing prices! I found lots of items with prices that have already dropped from their normal prices.

Did you make your shopping list? It is now time to start checking your watch list. I went through and made of list of all the cool crafty things I could find at great prices. I have included items that I have purchased, as well as items I would like to purchase. You can find my list of crafty prime deals here: As I find new deals, I am adding them to my list. So be sure to come back often. I just added a number of items that you will see at lower prices now!

I use this list throughout the year as I need more crafting supplies. Whenever you are looking for a special gift for a friend or loved crafter, be sure to check back to this list for some great ideas.

If you are not yet a Prime member, you can get a free Prime trial membership. There is also a Prime Student Discount. Get the links for these from my blog post here.

Be ready to pounce because the best deals sell out so fast! Last year some vinyl went on sale and all sold out in less than 30 minutes. Crazy. I managed to grab a nice variety package of vinyl during a pre-Prime sale. Some of the sales started and ended in pre-Prime sales. I had something in my cart, got interrupted, and came back an hour later, and the price had increased by $10 while I was gone!

Different items go on sale at different start times. I might have to stay awake all night!

Because of these sales, I have been fielding lots of questions about the various machines at the Cutter Software Facebook group, as well as at the MTC-Tuts Groups.io. You are welcome to join these free groups if you have questions. Meanwhile, I added links to some of my blog posts to answer questions you might have about some items on my Prime Day shopping list. I look forward to hearing about your great finds on Prime Day!

While you are visiting my blog, CutterCrafter.com be sure to grab any of the files you would like to have from the free Resource Library.

The password for the Library is: free

Julie

P.S. Don't like to shop at Amazon? Or are you broke? Come and get the latest tutorials and FREE SVG cutting files over on my blog at https://cuttercrafter.com/and make something instead. I'm always happy to help.

Julie Flanagan

I like to use Continuous Ink Systems with my printers, so before I purchase a printer, I make sure that the one I am considering has a CIS available for it. I also like to print larger than 8.5"x11". Another need is to be able to print on cardstock (requiring rear sheet feed). So my most recent printer purchase was Epson WF-7720. I selected this particular printer because it also boasts a large format scanner. Most others with wide format printing with scanner had only a standard size scanner.

Others may chime in with what works for them in a large format printer.

Julie

Graham Toal

https://www.adorama.com/icaix6820.html Pixma 6820 - by far the best price/performance wide-body printer.  Shop around for a good deal.

When my ancient Photosmart 8750 eventually dies, I'll replace it with a Pixma.

Graham

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 3:37 PM Wendi Olmstead <wendiolmstead@...> wrote:
[...]

Kathy Kelley <neeka2u@...>

Hi Wendi,

I don't normally chime in on requests, in this case, I will make an exception.  I purchased an EPSON WF-7610 in 2016.  It prints up to 11X17 and it prints on card stock.  I love this printer!  It is very large and not easily moved so plan for that in your process.  The printer is still going strong and I would buy another one in a minute.  I doubt that this model is still available, but you may be able to find a similar one.

Good luck,

Kathy

On Monday, June 21, 2021, 2:50:51 PM PDT, Graham Toal <gtoal@...> wrote:

[...]

OOPS, the printer actually prints up to 13 X 19 not 11 X 17.

On Tuesday, June 22, 2021, 9:29:07 AM PDT, Kathy Kelley <neeka2u@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Julie,
I am interested in understanding more about the printer Epson WF-7720 you have.  I found a couple for sale even though it has been discontinued for about $250.  I read on Epson site and could not find anything about CIS.  Did you find a way to make a CIS work with it?  If so, can you share more.  I called Epson asking about that and the guy directed me to a different printer that was $1,100 bucks and was out of stock anyway.
Thank you,
Wendi

On 06/21/2021 1:42 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

I like to use Continuous Ink Systems with my printers, so before I purchase a printer, I make sure that the one I am considering has a CIS available for it. I also like to print larger than 8.5"x11". Another need is to be able to print on cardstock (requiring rear sheet feed). So my most recent printer purchase was Epson WF-7720. I selected this particular printer because it also boasts a large format scanner. Most others with wide format printing with scanner had only a standard size scanner.

Others may chime in with what works for them in a large format printer.

I have used CIS systems with my Epson printers for at least 16 years. Epson and Cannon are the main types of printers that can use CIS systems. Epson tries to block the use of these systems on all of their new printers. So you usually have to wait about a year until a CIS system is available for a particular printer. When checking out CIS systems, read the descriptions carefully to make sure that your printer model is supported. I like to purchase my CIS systems filled with ink. Costs more, but saves me the trouble and mess. I also purchase a set of inks to refill the system when it runs out. One set lasts me about a year. I use twice as much black as color, so I try to find a large refill bottle of black.

Here are some sites where I found CIS systems for the Epson WF 7720. I just look for the best price for a complete filled system. It helps to buy from a company that has videos to show how to set it up properly.

https://www.inkxpro.com/Continuous-Ink-System-CISS-for-Epson-WF-7710-7720-p/es252l.htm

https://www.inkxpro.com/Continuous-ink-system-for-Epson-Workforce-7710-7720-7210-s/480.htm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulk-CISS-for-Epson-Workforce-WF-7710-WF-7720-WF-7210-Continuous-Ink-System-/333289854444

https://amzn.to/3jl8qCD

Prices vary for similar items.  There are also CIS systems for Sublimation. I first purchased refillable cartridges for an old Epson print with sublimation ink to see if I even need a CIS system for it. So far the refillable cartridges are working for me, as I don't do a lot of Sublimation except for when our grandchildren visit. If I start doing a lot of sublimation, I will get a CIS for that older printer.

Julie

Wendi Olmstead

Thanks for explaining.  It all makes more sense now.  I actually see a large format printer in my near future.  I wanted one for a long time and having a descent one will be so fantastic.  One last question I hope last.  If you don't use the printer for a month or so, do things dry up, clog up and not print?  That was why I stopped using my ink jet in the past.   But the Laser printer is just not doing everything I want.
Thanks,
Wendi
On 06/23/2021 3:24 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

[...]

The Ecotank/Megatank/SmartTank etc printers are effectively CIS systems from the manufacturers - I have one and it doesn't appear to have any sort of DRM on the refills. However I haven't yet found a wide-body printer in that style. Print quality is acceptable but my 7850 is head and shoulders above any of the other printers I have or have had in the past - it was a major blow when they stopped making the high quality photo inks for that printer.

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 5:24 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:
I have used CIS systems with my Epson printers for at least 16 years. Epson and Cannon are the main types of printers that can use CIS systems. Epson tries to block the use of these systems on all of their new printers. So you usually have to wait about a year until a CIS system is available for a particular printer.

Julie Flanagan

I print to that printer about once a week. I have not had to clean the heads at all for general color printing. I do most of my black and white printing on a brother laser printer. This printer does pretty well on high quality photo printing, but I have to use the rear feed for photos and for cardstock printing. Sometimes the rear feed is finnicky.

Julie

Diane Bove

Hi,
The Epson now has a 7750 large format (11x17) 5 color mega tank printer. I have the Epson 4760 mega tank and I love it. Surprising quality with only 4 colors. This replaced my Cannon Pro 100 that had 8 dye based inks. The CIS was not available when I bought that one, large format up to 11x17 but 12x12 was not not borderless, if I remember right. Beautiful prints, but so does the Epson 4760. My past experiences with Epson printers gave me beautiful vibrant prints but cardstock and photo paper had an imaginary paper jam. Printer wouldn’t go forward till paper jam was cleared but there was never a jam. I found it frustrating to go through all the steps to clear a non existent jam. 2 different Epsons did that, that’s why I switched to Cannon. I bought refillable inks for Cannon, lasted 2 years, I went away and didn’t print for 6 weeks, came back and had all sorts of problems with it one color wouldn’t print along with other issues.
The only reason I bought another Epson is because I caught it on sale for $299.00, bought it for my daughter who is a teacher. She was going into school every night to print something, I thought she’d have more time with her family if she could print from home. She printed mostly paper, not cardstock or photo so I thought jams wouldn’t effect her. She loved it, she also had no problems with cardstock. I paid $50.00 more for mine, $350.00, but worth every penny. Never jams, I’ve had it 2 years and just refilled some inks. I love mine too.
Hope this helps.

~Diane.

On Wednesday, June 23, 2021, 7:26 PM, Graham Toal <gtoal@...> wrote:

The Ecotank/Megatank/SmartTank etc printers are effectively CIS systems from the manufacturers - I have one and it doesn't appear to have any sort of DRM on the refills. However I haven't yet found a wide-body printer in that style. Print quality is acceptable but my 7850 is head and shoulders above any of the other printers I have or have had in the past - it was a major blow when they stopped making the high quality photo inks for that printer.

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 5:24 PM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:
I have used CIS systems with my Epson printers for at least 16 years. Epson and Cannon are the main types of printers that can use CIS systems. Epson tries to block the use of these systems on all of their new printers. So you usually have to wait about a year until a CIS system is available for a particular printer.

lukenessling@...

Hi Everyone,

I’m in desperate need of some good advice/feedback/opinions. 2 Questions

Has anyone used the Epson 7840 printer?  What are your thoughts?  How costly is the ink?

I see I can purchase the Epson 7720 for about $450 on EBay - it’s over $700 on Amazon.  Is this printer worth it? How is the quality?  Can it print on 80lb card stock?

Julie, I know you have the 7720 - is the cost worth it?

Has anyone used the Canon super tanks?  Thoughts? Quality?

 I have a laser printer for B&W printing.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  It is so confusing trying to decide between Epson, Canon - the one thing I do know is I want either CIS or mega tanks or ecotank in supply….

Kelly

On Jun 24, 2021, at 1:48 PM, Diane Bove <1cardcreator@...> wrote:

[...]

I got my 7720 refurbished at a great price. I needed a large format printer that could print on cardstock. It has trouble printing on Canon photo paper. But it does print nicely on regular cardstock. I haven't tried printing on 80# cardstock. For me it was worth it. You can only print cardstock one sheet at a time using the rear feed. The large scanner is nice. If you don't need large format, then there are less expensive printers. If you want to use a CIS, be sure to check the specs on the system to know if it will work with the printer you are planning to purchase. I purchased a new printer and a CIS system for it, then found out that Epson had blocked that CIS. So I gave my husband the new printer, and took his very old Epson, and put Sublimation ink in it. I am having success with that solution.

There are not likely a lot of choices among Epson and Cannon in the large format size that can use CIS so shop carefully!

Julie

lukenessling@...

Julie,

If I were to get the Epson 7720 printer, can I switch between Dye and Sublimation Ink?  I would purchase the extra no’s from InkXPro per your recommendation.

Thank you for your input.

Kelly

On Jul 6, 2021, at 8:10 PM, Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

[...]

To switch between sublimation and regular ink, or vice versa, you must totally flush the printer system. There is a huge difference between colours and chemicals in sublimation compared to regular ink, they do not mix well, you will have off colours for regular ink or the sublimation process won't work properly because it has dye ink in it. I personally would not do the switching but rather dedicate one printer just for that function, as I have done with a pigment ink system versus dye inks. The flush system means you have to get to zero for each of the colours....for some printers that have 6 or 8 cartridges, that's a lot of wasted ink and time.

Liz

On 7/6/2021 5:54 PM, lukenessling@... wrote:
[...]

Here is a list of Epson printers that can be used for sublimation:

Which Epson printers can I convert for sublimation printing?

We support the following printer models with sublimation inks, cartridges and/or bulk refillable cartridges, and sublimation transfer paper:-

Epson Photo 1400, 2200, R2400, R2880, R3000

Epson Artisan 1430

Epson ET-15000

Epson Stylus Pro 3800, 3880, 4000, 4800, 4880, 4900, 7600, 7700, 7800, 7880, 7890, 7900, 9600, 9700, 9800, 9880, 9890, 9900, 10000, 10600.

Epson SureColor T3170x.

Epson SureColor T3000, T3270, T5000, T5270, T7000, T7270.

Epson SureColor F6070, F6200, F7070, F7170, F7200, F9200

From the absoluteinkject.com website.

Liz

On 7/6/2021 3:48 PM, lukenessling@... wrote:
[...]

Kelly,
I was able to find 7720 printer a week or so ago.  I dragged my feet and now everyplace selling them are over $300, some even in the $700 range.  I looked at the current replacements and it looks like all the newer ones don't scan larger than 8.5x11.  :-(
I did see some 7720 for under 200 on some sketchy sites that say that most people never receive their products.
I will look a bit again tomorrow.  But as of now to get one at a reasonable price, maybe waiting a bit for one to show up on Epson as refurbished might be the answer?
Good luck.
:-)Wendi
On 07/06/2021 5:54 PM lukenessling@... wrote:

[...]

I decided if I was not going to have the 11x17 scanner, I wanted to focus on quality of prints and ease of use with 12x12 cardstock.  Wondering if you'd want to split up the searches and work together?  I have a color laser all in one.  So I don't actually need scan copy fax in a new printer.

Here are a couple I found with good reviews on youtube that I want to learn more about before I decide

I was most interested in the 7720 but not sure it's worth the extra money for the larger scanner bed.  I did not look at comparisons of the print quality.

7840 the replacement for the 7720 does not scan as large is $299 or less depending on where you find it and I did find a CIS for it... https://www.inkxpro.com/searchresults.asp?Search=CIS+WF+7840&Submit=

My email if we should do this off the group is wendiolmstead@...

On 07/06/2021 9:20 PM Liz Ackerman <ackerliz@...> wrote:

Here is a list of Epson printers that can be used for sublimation:

Which Epson printers can I convert for sublimation printing?

We support the following printer models with sublimation inks, cartridges and/or bulk refillable cartridges, and sublimation transfer paper:-

Epson Photo 1400, 2200, R2400, R2880, R3000

Epson Artisan 1430

Epson ET-15000

Epson Stylus Pro 3800, 3880, 4000, 4800, 4880, 4900, 7600, 7700, 7800, 7880, 7890, 7900, 9600, 9700, 9800, 9880, 9890, 9900, 10000, 10600.

Epson SureColor T3170x.

Epson SureColor T3000, T3270, T5000, T5270, T7000, T7270.

Epson SureColor F6070, F6200, F7070, F7170, F7200, F9200

From the absoluteinkject.com website.

[...]

So Sorry decided to buy the 7720.  I found it on EBay for $350.00 plus $23.00 for shipping.  I purchased the 2 year square trade warranty with it too.

I do need the large scanner bed, the ADF, auto duplex and fax machine.  Also, I can get the CISS for it and Sublimation ink.

I did d look at the 7840 but it doesn’t have CISS capabilities.  If you go onto the InkXPro website and actually click on the option for the 7840 it says it is not currently available - that was enough to make the decision to pass on it.

I paid $100.00 more that the retail value is but there are none to be found anywhere.  I figure the savings on the ink and the ability to use sublimation ink is worth the extra $100.00.  Everywhere else I have seen it is over $700.00 and is highway robbery🤦‍♀️😡

I did look at the 2 printers you found on Amazon but my concern is the expense of the ink🤷‍♀️

You may want to check out eBay to see if you can find a deal.  My main stipulation was that I needed to purchase an extended warranty - in case the seller is not reputable and sells a used, broken or defective unit - just want to be on the safe side.

If I can help you in any way my email is lukenessling@....

Good Luck

Kelly

On Jul 7, 2021, at 1:22 PM, Wendi Olmstead <wendiolmstead@...> wrote:

[...]

From the absoluteinkject.com website.

[...]

Oops, I forgot you may want to get the 7210 which you can use CISS and sublimation ink with and has the criteria you want in the 7720 - it just doesn’t have the fax, adf, or duplex options but You already have the all in one printer so you don’t need those functions.  It is more readily available and is reasonably priced.

Kelly

On Jul 7, 2021, at 1:50 PM, Luke Nessling <lukenessling@...> wrote:

[...]

From the absoluteinkject.com website.