Topics

I will introduce myself/PDF to SVG

Julie Flanagan

Tammy, I have added a database to our group so that you can post your tutorial requests there. You are asking some very good questions that I think will make excellent tutorials. If you will add this request to our database, then it won't get lost in the shuffle as we are trying to get this group up and running smoothly.  When I write the tutorial, I like to include lots of screen shots and detailed instructions for those who need it. File conversions from one format to another are topics for more advanced users. I suggest that beginners wait until they have mastered some of the basic software functions before venturing into file conversions and autotracing complex line drawings.

Meanwhile, until we get a tutorial on this topic posted,  I will outline the steps for you.

Some PDF files contain picture or "raster"  images, and other PDF files contain vector images. Our cutters require vector images, or designs that contain lines and curves. If the PDF file contains vectors, then those design lines are ready to be cut. All we have to do is
1. Open the PDF file
2. Go to the File menu at the top of the screen in Acrobat Reader and select Print.
3. Select PDFCreator (free download) as your printer, and select Print.
4. Select SVG as the file type.
5. Wait for PDF Creator to process your file. It will open the SVG file in whatever program you have set up to open SVG files. (Mine opened in Inkscape.)  Close that program.
6. An SVG file conversion will appear on your desktop.
7. Open MTC.
8. Go to the File menu in MTC, and select Import and SVG or use the shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+G).
9. Select portions of the design you don't need, and delete them.
10. Save as MTC.

The PDF files that contain picture or raster images rather than lines and curves will need to be auto traced in the software. In a nutshell for now:
1. Use screen capture software to capture the image,
2. Save as JPG or BMP
3. Open MTC
4. Click on Custom Shapes on the right side of the screen
5.Click on the 2nd icon to Trace Taster
6. Adjust Threshold and Accept the trace.
7. Click on the image to select it, and resize if desired.
8. Break apart the selection into its component parts (Ctrl+B)
9. Delete unwanted lines.
10. Save as MTC

The sunflower file you mentioned did have some vector images, but it also had a lot of other information preventing it from importing as an SVG file into MTC. I was able to trace it in MTC using the 2nd set of instructions above, and it turned out fine. Give it a try.

Julie, craftymusician@...
Flanagan Educational Services
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hybrid_Scrapbooking_PaperCrafting/
www.scrap-savvy.com  http://tinyurl.com/SCAL-Purchase