To: MTC_Tuts@...
From: mompureaunt@...
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 20:09:35 -0700
Subject: RE: [MTC_Tuts] Settings for cutting chipboard???

On the Cricut Expression you can just hit the multi-cut button and it will repeat the cuts. I have no problem cutting chipboard with the regular blade and multi-cut.

Linda

From: Luke Nessling
To: MTC_Tuts@...
Date: Monday, October 18, 2010, 10:19 PM

Hi Kathy:

          Here you go, hope this helps.

Tape chipboard or mat board (I like HL Mat board, the huge 36x48" sheets that I can cut down myself) to the mat around the edges using blue painters tape.  I use a mat that is no longer sticky because I can't make it stick to even a new mat, so why waste sticky mats.

Load mat into machine.

Set speed to 2.
Set pressure to max. (sometimes to the notch below the “Max”)
Set blade depth to 2.5 (in between the 2 and the 3 on the deep blade housing).
Select design and cut.

Now this is the important part!!!
Hit Load Paper
Hit Repeat Last
Change blade depth to 3.5
Cut

Hit Load Paper

Hit Repeat Last

Change blade depth to 4
Cut

Hit Load Paper
Hit Repeat Last
Change blade depth to 4.5
Cut

Hit Load Paper

Hit Repeat Last
Change blade depth to 5
Cut

Hit Load Paper

Hit Repeat Last

Change blade depth to 5.5
Cut

I know that is a TON of cuts, but it allows you to cut layer by layer through the mat board and it produces a nice cut.  You will not necessarily have to cut this many times if the chipboard cuts sooner than a 5.5 depth.  I do not have to cut the mat board from HL at a 6, 5.5 is sufficient.  If you purchase the grey chipboard from the art section with the .04 depth you only need to cut to a 4 and the chipboard with the .055 depth you will only need to cut to a 5 depth...  or at least that is my experience.

This is still not a fool proof method, but, it does work about 90% of the time, which is better than 0% that many people are experiencing.

Hope this helps a lot of people who are having problems with their deep blade and housing.  It took my BF and I about 3 hours to figure out that you had to go one click at a time.