Re: Printers?/Re: [Special] [MTC-Tuts] Prime Day 2021 for Crafters

Julie Flanagan

I have been able to get very nice prints on my Epson printers using Epson photo paper, or especially Epson Presentation paper. The problem was that it wouldn't feed Canon photo paper, which is frustrating.

Thanks for the links to helpful websites. I did a lot of research before making my purchase. It is important for each person to research according to their personal needs.

I agree with previous posts mentioning dedicating each printer for a specific type of ink. I converted an older printer for use with sublimation. Although I could switch out cartridges later with regular ink, that is more trouble than it is worth.

Also a CIS system is great for a printer that is used a lot. I may switch over the printer that I used for sublimation to a CIS system in the future, but for as little as I use it, the cartridges are working for me.

Evaluate your needs carefully. For example, if you need a large format scanner, consider purchasing a Scan N Cut. Not only do you get large format scanning functions, but you also get the benefit of a powerful cutting machine that can use SVG cutting files. Check out this post: https://cuttercrafter.com/why-you-might-need-brother-scan-n-cut/

Julie

On 07/09/2021 8:16 AM Wendi Olmstead <wendiolmstead@...> wrote:

In my searching I found a great resource.  It's actually a paper company for inkjet papers.  They have wonderful resources about printers, I would say poke around there before you decide what to buy.
they also gave me a tip on if you are going to buy aftermarket ink for your printer, to go to https://www.precisioncolors.com/  on that site there are some printers they tell you all the details good and bad about specific printers you are looking to use their ink for.
I personally am now looking for a printer that will print well with out hassle on a variety of types of paper.  And a scanner separately later.  When it comes to printing digital pages I am super picky and might like the higher quality that a single function printer might offer.  I thought about what Julie said about the 7720 doing well with cardstock but not with photo paper and for $200 bucks, fine. but spending $700 plus, I want more for my money.
Thanks again for all your help getting me going with this topic.  I am currently looking at Red River's most resent recommendations.  I'll let you all know when I decide and what I get and how I like it.
:-)Wendi
On 07/09/2021 6:59 AM Liz Ackerman <ackerliz@...> wrote:

Yes you would need to flush any printer that you would be converting, if not new from the box. I am quite convinced for either sublimation or converting from pigment to dye ink, or vice versa, it's going to be a lot of work and not something that makes sense to do all the time - switching back and forth. Bite the bullet and buy one to dedicate just for that purpose makes much more sense.

Liz

On 7/8/2021 11:39 AM, dusty dusty wrote:
I heard that on these printers that are being turned  into sublimation,  it was better to buy  one that has  had no ink put it its and only use it with sublimation ink. Because regurlar ink and the sublimation ink are different. and it takes a lot of work to try to get the old ink out to put in the sublimation ink