Re: Files for this group

Julie Flanagan

You can open MTC files using Make The Cut or using Sure Cuts A Lot 5. You can import SVG files into Sure Cuts A Lot5. Sure Cuts A Lot 5 will also cut to your Cricut Expression. Cricut Explore is a different machine. You can export SVG files from SCAL5 as SVG and import those to Cricut Design Space if you are using a Cricut Explore.

So if you have a Cricut Expression, and it keeps hanging on, you can purchase Sure Cuts A Lot 5 and cut to your Expression using that software. If you machine quits working, then you can make a decision as to which machine and software you want to use. If you do purchase SCAL5, you can keep using it to create SVG files for whichever machine you get. SCAL5 is much less expensive than a new machine. And it will cut directly to many different machines.

Julie

On 12/10/2020 6:44 PM salley schwartz via groups.io <salleys@...> wrote:

Graham
   Thank you for your interest. I'm not that tech savvy and there are probably many things I  haven't thought of. One was opening MTC files. I was just thinking about using my SVG files. But a lot of my files are MTC.
  The only machine I have is a very old Cricut explorer which I have been expecting to bite the dust but it keeps going.
  It never occurred to me that I could buy someone's registration key. Do you have any suggestions about how I could do that?  How to find someone who wants to sell?
   Thanks for any help you can give.

         Salley

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 7:24 PM, Graham Toal
<gtoal@...> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 12:22 PM salley schwartz via groups.io <salleys= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It seems that since I can't recover my MTC registration number I will need to buy a new machine to use my years of saved files. How do I find Julie's reviews of cutting machines and other files on this group.

I'm sure you must have already exhausted all the ways of recovering your MTC registration, so I won't ask about that; instead may I ask why you need a new machine?  If you have a lot of files that are in .mtc format only, then you need another copy of MTC (or at least a licence key - I'm sure someone who no longer uses their MTC could resell their key to transfer ownership, no?) to read those old files, and a new machine won't help; however if your files are in some other format than mtc (eg svg) then why do you need a new machine?  There are alternative ways of driving many machines that don't involve using MTC (or SCAL).  For example  https://codelv.com/projects/inkcut/

Graham