Re: Hot foil

Julie Flanagan

I tested the foil quill magnetic plate in the Pazzles Vue cutter. It worked. The magnets are very handy to use instead of having to tape down the foil. 

However, if you want to cut out the shape, I recommend that you cut it out before foiling on the regular mat. The reason I think this is better is that if you foil first, then try to cut around the foiled sheet, you either have to remove the magnetic plate and try to get your paper perfectly aligned for cutting around the foiled image, or you end up cutting a bit into the magnetic plate. I don't think cutting into the magnetic plate or even scratching it like happens with our regular mats, is good for the blade or the plate.

The magnetic plate will work very well with the foil quill designed for hand use, because the magnets will nicely hold the foil into position while you draw. If you are tracing using a light box, then you would not use the magnetic plate, as it would block the light. 

If you are foiling a very complex mandala, use the slowest speed. Make sure that you use the pen spacing tool to get the tip of the foil quill in the holder at the correct height. Also, be sure to tighten the clamp securely around the quill holder so that it doesn't slip up during the foiling process. 

Julie

On March 8, 2020 at 8:09 AM Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

I do have it, and will give it a try today. I do not see why we should not be able to use it for quilling with the foil quill. 

Julie
On March 8, 2020 at 4:15 AM "Lynn Cook via Groups.Io" <bbddcrickie@...> wrote:

Julie,

Sometime ago I asked you if the foil quill magnetic mat was safe to use in the Pazzles InVue and you said you had one on order.  So have you tried it yet?

Lynn

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2020 1:13 AM
To: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io
Subject: Re: [MTC-Tuts] Hot foil

Thank you, Julie.   Reason I asked is that I was at HL in STL yesterday and they had some Glimmer Foil, and some glimmer dies (is that what they are) 75% off.  I bought them all, lol.

So 2 questions.   Are the dies usable as just dies?    And if using the foil (I bought that too, they had it as a discontinued thing). Do I need to purchase spellbinder’s hot foil machine?

THANKS!

From: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io <main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io> On Behalf Of "Dee Halsema via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, March 8, 2020 12:58 AM
To: main@mtc-tuts.groups.io; Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...>; Queen Nanu <news@...>; main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io
Subject: Re: [MTC-Tuts] Hot foil

Julie, thank you so much for the great info! I've been shopping for an inexpensive monochrome printer that has wireless capability. There are *so many*. I've also been reading of so many having problems getting good results from their printer. Do you have any suggestions as to what printer to get? Thank you again & be blessed. 😊

Take Care & God Bless,
Dee Halsema
Proud Wife & Mother of U.S. Army Veterans
Life Is Nothing Without JESUS

On Saturday, March 7, 2020, 09:29:47 PM CST, Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...> wrote:

There are many different methods for foiling. And there are different types of foil used with them. 

Some foil is designed to be used with laser printers and laminators.

Some foil is designed to be used with adhesives. It can also be used with heat embossing. 

Some foil is designed to be used with foil presses using heat and pressure. Foil Quills also use this type of foil. I purchase the specific kind of foil that I know works with the machines I am using.

Having tried them all, I have different preferences for different types of projects.

I purchased an inexpensive monochromatic laser printer for designs that were best printed, and use "deco foil" over the printed designs with a laminator. I also cut designs from "toner sheets" (printed black sheets with laser printer), and use the deco foil and laminator. This works very nicely. 

The foil used for these projects is called Heat Reactive Foils or Toner Reactive Foils (TRF). These are designed to be used with machines such as the Minc, or with regular heat laminators.  I purchased a lifetime supply of this type of foil when Cricut cleared out all of their Yudu foils. This foil does not work with the Foil Quill or the Gemini Foil press. But it does work very well with any design that I print with my laser printer in black, cut the shape out with my cutter, and run the cut shape with my Yudu foils, and it turns out beautifully. Since I have lots and lots of this foil I use it a lot - but NOT with the Foilpress or Foil Quill.

This Deco foil also works with stamping glue or transfer gel with stamps or stencils, or when heat embossing stamped images.

I like to use my Gemini Foil Press with the Gemini with the special foils that are made for use with heat and pressure.  This foil is different from Deco foil. It is called Heat Activated Foil. This is a low-temp foil that is formulated with special adhesive that transfers with pressure. Since our cutters apply pressure to this type of foil, and the Foil Quill provides the small amount of necessary heat, these foils work well with the Foil Quill and the Foil Press. This type of foil is sold by Spellbinders as Glimmer Foil for their Glimmer Hot Foil system, Crafter's Companion for the Gemini Foil Press, We R Memory Keepers for the Foil Quill, Couture Creations for the Go Press and Anna Griffin Foil system, etc.

You can also do foiling with embossing folders and the Foil Press. See this video for instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkNT3jMsQyY

The foil presses are all very similar, but not all of the foils are created equally. All of the foils made for these systems should work with the Foil Quill, but the settings may vary. So it is very important to test the foils you wish to use with the systems that you have. The variable factors are temperature, time, pressure, and media type.

With the Foil Quill, you can adjust the draw pressure on your machine. Slow the speed down to increase time. For use on non-paper items, more time and pressure may be needed for successful foiling. Slow speeds with multiple passes, and/or denser foils such as the Crafter's Companion Multimedia foil may be required for foiling fabric, foam, wood veneer, chipboard, etc.

With this I can foil any die cut shape that I have.

See Jennifer McGuire's video covering 5 popular ways to use foil on cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ABXldEEv0  She has many other great videos on different foiling techniques.

Probably more information than you wanted. I watched a lot of videos before I purchased the Gemini Foil Press. As you have noted, there are a number of other machines that do foiling. Watch some comparison videos to get an idea of how they work and the types of foiling they do. I didn't purchase any other machines, so I cannot do some of the comparisons that others have done. YouTube is your friend. 

Julie

On March 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...> wrote:

I’m so confused.  There are so many hot foil machines out there. None are cheap so wantto make the right decision.  Which ones do you guys use or recommend?

From: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io <main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io> On Behalf Of Julie Flanagan
Sent: Saturday, March 7, 2020 11:16 AM
To: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io; Queen Nanu <news@...>
Subject: Re: [MTC-Tuts] New Book Card Design

The good thing is that "Love" focused cards are always relevant. They are great for a random act of kindness for someone who needs some extra love during a hard time. Go ahead. Make someone's day!

Julie

On March 7, 2020 at 4:30 AM Queen Nanu <news@...> wrote:

So beautiful. It's unfortunate Valentin is gone already

Join main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.