The dies you purchased will not cut. They are specifically for foiling. If you do not have a Foil Press such as the Gemini Foil Press or the Glimmer Hot Foil System or other foil press, you would need to purchase one and use it with your die cutter or embossing machine. The foil stamps look like they should work with either of these two machines, because they appear to be very similar. Thickness of the metal stamps may be different, so you may need different shims when you place the platform and foiled pieces in the Die cutting/Embossing machine.

The foils used for these Foil Press systems also work with the Foil Quills.

Julie

On March 8, 2020 at 10:20 AM Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...> wrote:

These are what I bought.  What machine or process do I need?   Are these not strong enough to cut?

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note10+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Julie Flanagan <craftymusician@...>
Date: 3/7/20 9:29 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io, Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...>, Queen Nanu <news@...>
Subject: Re: [MTC-Tuts] Hot foil

There are many different methods for foiling. And there are different types of foil used with them.

Some foil is designed to be used with laser printers and laminators.
Some foil is designed to be used with adhesives. It can also be used with heat embossing.

Some foil is designed to be used with foil presses using heat and pressure. Foil Quills also use this type of foil. I purchase the specific kind of foil that I know works with the machines I am using.

Having tried them all, I have different preferences for different types of projects.

I purchased an inexpensive monochromatic laser printer for designs that were best printed, and use "deco foil" over the printed designs with a laminator. I also cut designs from "toner sheets" (printed black sheets with laser printer), and use the deco foil and laminator. This works very nicely.

The foil used for these projects is called Heat Reactive Foils or Toner Reactive Foils (TRF). These are designed to be used with machines such as the Minc, or with regular heat laminators.  I purchased a lifetime supply of this type of foil when Cricut cleared out all of their Yudu foils. This foil does not work with the Foil Quill or the Gemini Foil press. But it does work very well with any design that I print with my laser printer in black, cut the shape out with my cutter, and run the cut shape with my Yudu foils, and it turns out beautifully. Since I have lots and lots of this foil I use it a lot - but NOT with the Foilpress or Foil Quill.

This Deco foil also works with stamping glue or transfer gel with stamps or stencils, or when heat embossing stamped images.

 I like to use my Gemini Foil Press with the Gemini with the special foils that are made for use with heat and pressure.  This foil is different from Deco foil. It is called Heat Activated Foil. This is a low-temp foil that is formulated with special adhesive that transfers with pressure. Since our cutters apply pressure to this type of foil, and the Foil Quill provides the small amount of necessary heat, these foils work well with the Foil Quill and the Foil Press. This type of foil is sold by Spellbinders as Glimmer Foil for their Glimmer Hot Foil system, Crafter's Companion for the Gemini Foil Press, We R Memory Keepers for the Foil Quill, Couture Creations for the Go Press and Anna Griffin Foil system, etc.

You can also do foiling with embossing folders and the Foil Press. See this video for instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkNT3jMsQyY

The foil presses are all very similar, but not all of the foils are created equally. All of the foils made for these systems should work with the Foil Quill, but the settings may vary. So it is very important to test the foils you wish to use with the systems that you have. The variable factors are temperature, time, pressure, and media type.

With the Foil Quill, you can adjust the draw pressure on your machine. Slow the speed down to increase time. For use on non-paper items, more time and pressure may be needed for successful foiling. Slow speeds with multiple passes, and/or denser foils such as the Crafter's Companion Multimedia foil may be required for foiling fabric, foam, wood veneer, chipboard, etc.
With this I can foil any die cut shape that I have.

See Jennifer McGuire's video covering 5 popular ways to use foil on cards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ABXldEEv0  She has many other great videos on different foiling techniques.

Probably more information than you wanted. I watched a lot of videos before I purchased the Gemini Foil Press. As you have noted, there are a number of other machines that do foiling. Watch some comparison videos to get an idea of how they work and the types of foiling they do. I didn't purchase any other machines, so I cannot do some of the comparisons that others have done. YouTube is your friend.

Julie

On March 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM Goldie Holzer <mariah10@...> wrote:

I’m so confused.  There are so many hot foil machines out there. None are cheap so wantto make the right decision.  Which ones do you guys use or recommend?