Re: Inkscape and rhinestones

Susan Boyles

Julie, do you have a link to try this funtime?

Thanks in advance.

Suzzi

To: MTC_Tuts@...
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:53:03 +0000
Subject: Re: [MTC_Tuts] Inkscape and rhinestones

Funtime does have a Center Line trace feature that will work to create single line rhinestone templates. I just tried it. This is such as easy process in Funtime!
1. Type your text.
2. Go to Image>Convert to Image
3. Go to Image>Vectorization>Centerline and click on the the new image.
4. The center line trace appears to the right of the new image.
5. Click on the Rhinestone icon at the bottom of the screen.
6. Select rhinestone size and spacing, and click on Apply
7. Rhinestones replace the lines.
8. Edit placement of rhinestones if desired by clicking on a dot and moving, deleting, or duplicating.
9. Save your file.
10. Cut or print to PDF.using Acrobat, PDF Creator, or Cute PDF Writer.
11. Import PDF to MTC. Cut.

Funtime also has the option to create a font. You can make your own rhinestone font for use in Funtime if you like, and use it for all of your rhinestone text creations.

Julie, craftymusician@comcast.net  Flanagan Educational Services
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MTC_Tuts/
Purchase MTC:    http://tinyurl.com/JF-MTC2  
www.scrap-savvy.com     http://tinyurl.com/SCAL-Purchase

----- Original Message -----
To: "MTC Tuts" s.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:46:58 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific

Sherrie,
No truetype fonts are true single line because the truetype standard requires a closed path. Some cutting and engraving software has its own single line fonts in another format, but they might not be very attractive for what you are trying to do.
If you take the word you want in the font you want and then do a centerline trace of it in Illustrator to get the kind of letters you need to work with for the single row of rhinestones you described.
I kinda know how, but not well enough to explain it. Do a search on centerline tracing in Illustrator and see if you can find a tutorial.

Julie,
Does Funtime have a centerline trace function? If so, then that's another plus for anyone interested in rhinestones.

-Kay
--
Visit my blog
Clever Someday-Geeky Ideas for Desktop Crafting
http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Sherrie Robinson <tsscgcr@yahoo.com> wrote:

Kay,
  I just happen to have Adobe Illustrator 10.0.3, but, being the computer person I am not, I don't know what to do with it. Is there a tut somewhere that would show me how to do it? If I could just use the software I have that would be great, but I am not opposed to getting something else if it is easier, because my brain needs easy. ( I work for an oral surgeon, I can take your face apart and put it back together because that is easy, computers are not). I am sure I am trying to make this harder than it needs to be. How do I know if a font is a true single line or a centerline trace? I know somewhere on your blog there was something mentioned about them to use with the pens a cricut, I will go back and see if I can figure that out.

Thank you so much to everyone for all your help!! Wish I could return the favor somehow.
     Sherrie

To: MTC_Tuts@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, June 15, 2010 7:21:11 AM

Sherrie,

What you are trying to do requires a true single line font or a centerline trace. This is not going to be easily accomplished unless you have different software than Inkscape and MTC. Adobe Illustrator or Funtime (I think, but not the free version) will do this.
-Kay
--
Visit my blog
Clever Someday-Geeky Ideas for Desktop Crafting
http://cleversomeda y.wordpress. com

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:15 PM, tsscgcr <tsscgcr@yahoo. com> wrote:

I have a question I am hoping one of you can help me with. I am wanting to make a rhinestone stencil out of vinyl. I have watched a video on youtube on how to make a rhinestone stencil using inkscape then cutting it on a cutter, add the rhinestones, then transfer them to whatever you want to iron them on to. The demo shows using a shape, I can do that, but I am needing to use a font. I obviously just want a single line of dots along the path, not an outline of the whole letter. I hope I am making sence. I asume that once i figure it out in inkscape, I then will pull it through my MTC (which I love) then through my cricut. Then again, maybe someone will know how to bypass inkscape and just use MTC. I love to add rhinestone to all my sweatshirts that I embroider on, but it sure would be easier to add them all at once rather than one at a time.
THANK YOU so much. I hope I made sence.

Sherrie

The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. Get busy.

Join main@MTC-Tuts.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.